BT848 doesnt support 'sustained' 640x480

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
FuriousGeorge

BT848 doesnt support 'sustained' 640x480

Post by FuriousGeorge »

I noticed that my 8 chip card was advertised as 240fps / 8 chips @ 320x240.

I assumed I would be able to do around 7fps at 640x480, but when I contacted the manufacturer about it, he said that the card didnt support 640x480 for 'sustained periods'.

I know that other bt848-based cards claim they can do 640x480, and that wording made me think that maybe heat dissipation (or lack there of) was the problem. The person at the other end of the support line doesn't seem technical enough to field my question, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is it possible with some heatsinks and maybe a well placed fan I could reliably sustain 640x480? This may be card=97, but card=0 is working, so I let sleeping dogs lie for now.

I understand this would void my warranty :)
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

I put heat sinks on all mt bt878 chips. Those suckers run hot. It has fixed a lot of stability problems...
xjust

Post by xjust »

where did you get the heatsinks ? thanks :)
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

xjust wrote:where did you get the heatsinks ? thanks :)

http://store.bluecherry.net/product_p/ez-bcc9.htm

Click on the Bluecherry store link above in 'Shop (http://store.bluecherry.net/SearchResul ... 3&Click=51)' so your order is tagged with the affiliate tracking code so Zoneminder gets a portion of the sale.

Thanks
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
DREMA

Post by DREMA »

Yeap, those chips NEED the heat sinks.

On an older setup I got eight cameras working at 640x480@~20fps, with the heatsinks and some fans.

On a recent setup, my vendor run out of heatsinks and I cannot run the camera at that settings 'cause it frezees the machine. And all indicates that the over heating is the cause.

So get those heatsinks and make some tests.
skyking

Post by skyking »

Heatsinks, and I installed a fan in front of the card as well. Coincidentally the fan is behind the disk drives and cools them as well.
hddtemp shows the drives at 30 and 32 degrees, very healthy.