Wired-IP Cams via a Wireless Bridge?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
MJN

Wired-IP Cams via a Wireless Bridge?

Post by MJN »

I would be grateful for some advice and words of wisdom from you wise folk...

Having been more than impressed with the performance/quality of Panasonic's BL-C1 wired IP cameras I intend to purchase another...

Typically, whilst my whole house is flood wired with Cat 5 cabling the intended location of this particular cam is not conveniently located to a socket, and the running of additional visible/hidden cabling is not really an option.

So, given I also have a wireless network I figure I have two options:

1. Buy a BL-C20 - the wireless version of the BL-C1. However, I have a feeling it doesn't support WPA, and the £120 price tag seems a little steep given it's just a £60 BL-C1 with built-in wireless.

2. Buy a BL-C1 and use it in conjunction with a wireless bridge, such as the SMC SMCWEBT-G for around £30.

I am preferring the last option and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this mode of operation?

Also, this particular bridge claims Access Point functionality hence am I correct in thinking it could double-up as a means to extend the reach of my wireless network? It just so happens the intended location would be an ideal repeater location in order to increase the signal strength to the garden which is currently hit-and-miss as far as connectivity is concerned.

Of course, it's all sounding too good to be true and so all thoughts, suggestions, corrections, etc would be welcome...

Mathew
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Let me start bay saying that the bread and butter of my business is Wireless internet for hospitality. WiFi for hotels, malls, bars, ... So I have used just about every access point available. In that time I have tried a lot of wireless bridge configurations. Only 2 have worked reliably. One is Netgear WG302 access points in client/bridge or WDS mode. These are not cheap. The other is Linksys WRT54GL with Thibor http://www.thibor.co.uk/ firmware. It is much cheaper, and just as reliable as the netgear solution. However, it has slightly less range. Note that whatever encryption you use will cause a hit in both throughput and latency. You can always disable ssid broadcast and use mac address filtering to block out everything but the client bridge. As to $30 products, I have a pile on my left right now. Want one? (or 10)
MJN

Post by MJN »

Ah, right, that puts a different on perspective on things!

That really doesn't sound good - what is about wireless bridges that fail to deliver?

I don't mind about the encryption overhead - it's only a home wireless LAN used solely for a roaming laptop and visitors, and of course this additional camera, or that was the intention! ;)

Just to clarify, would you anticipate me having any problem using such a device purely to connect a single wired device (the camera) to the wireless LAN? The wLAN extension was purely a perceived potential bonus, and one which can quite happily be dropped.

Mathew
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

It is just a question of how often the WiFi hangs up and you loose connectivity. Or in the case of some of the "gaming adapters" how often they loose configuration and have to be reconfigured. (Seriously) And if that is when the big escaped convict is beating you over the head with a table leg, now conveniently off camera. :) I have units that hang daily, and some that hang yearly. I am about to drive from Houston to Dallas to replace 3 APs that hang every few days with Netgear WG302s because I am sick of the phone calls.