MiniPC for Zoneminder - suggestions

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
xefil

MiniPC for Zoneminder - suggestions

Post by xefil »

Hi to all,

I'm using my old MacMINI5.1 with a Debian to record my 6 IPCAMS (4x 720 + 2x 1080). It's extreemly under load, and I think it's normal, having a Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz processor and a 2.5HDD not SSD, 4G ram.
I would like to upgrade the hardware, but having a consideration about the costs.
I've found a mini-pc with an Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz which seems near 8x time faster than above. I'll purchase it with 8G ram and 512GB SSD.

What do you think?

I know there are many better / powerful solutions, but would have something that does well the job without spending much.

Thanks!

Simon
xefil

Re: MiniPC for Zoneminder - suggestions

Post by xefil »

Hello,

Any experience suggestion or best practice?

Thanks, Simon
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

In terms of that same camera load yes it will be better, can always play around with fps to get more cameras working on the same hardware so going faster you should be able to process more. Could have it doing other jobs as well.
Ssd is not needed for recording, but is nice for OS. I normally use spinning disks for video storage, and big disks are so cheap now. So if you want to store a month of 24x7 recording you can.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
xefil

Post by xefil »

Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions!

Simon