Newbie Hardware Setup Questions

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Ullagemotor

Newbie Hardware Setup Questions

Post by Ullagemotor »

I am trying to set up a Zoneminder system in a house with existing cameras.

The previous owner left several POE IP cameras and all of the cables.

I have purchased a POE switch and installed zoneminder on a laptop with a fresh install of Ubutu.

My question is about the general architecture of the network. My Linux box connects to the internet through a wifi connection and I have eth0 plugged into the POE switch.

Should dhcpd be handling all of the cameras connected to the switch? Should the switch be connected to my router instead of my computer?

A typical layout would be really helpful. I've done Linux networking Devore but am new to IP cameras and zoneminder.
bbunge

Re: Newbie Hardware Setup Questions

Post by bbunge »

Ullagemotor wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:37 am I am trying to set up a Zoneminder system in a house with existing cameras.

The previous owner left several POE IP cameras and all of the cables.

I have purchased a POE switch and installed zoneminder on a laptop with a fresh install of Ubutu.

My question is about the general architecture of the network. My Linux box connects to the internet through a wifi connection and I have eth0 plugged into the POE switch.

Should dhcpd be handling all of the cameras connected to the switch? Should the switch be connected to my router instead of my computer?

A typical layout would be really helpful. I've done Linux networking Devore but am new to IP cameras and zoneminder.
Your POE switch should be plugged into your router. The POE cameras can get the IP address from the router DHCP (set up the router to manually assign an IP to each camera or block out a range of IP's on the router and set each camera with a static IP). Plug the Ubuntu server into either the switch or router. Your call to let the router assign an IP router manual assignment or static IP. If you loaded Ubuntu desktop on the laptop I recommend you start over with a server or minimal install so you are not burdened with the GUI overhead. See the ZM WIKI for Ubuntu install instructions.