Spam Posts

This is the place for any problems or issues with the website in general or the new forums in particular.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Spam Posts

Post by zoneminder »

Following the rash of spam posts lately I have added a spam filter module into phpbb. This should flag and hold posts that contain one or more banned words. It will also ban the offending user and IP.

There is a chance that this will catch the odd genuine post, if this happens just let me know and I will unban you and free up the post. This should not happen to frequent posters, only to relatively new ones, however I am not 100% certain of it's efficacy yet.

The spam filter is not 100% integrated so if you observe forum oddities such as forums indicating new posts but no new posts in them then it is probably down to this and I will be working my way through the forum code to track down these outstanding issues.

Hopefully this will cut down on the annoying posts to everyone's benefit but if you get accidentally flagged as a spammer please don't take it personally, and I will correct the error as soon as possible.
Phil
cordel

Post by cordel »

Thank You Phil for your hard work both with ZM and the forum. This is great news.

Cheers,
Corey
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

Ditto
Thanks Phil, dont let the b@stards get you down!!!!

Great work, great app, not bad forum lol
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
W.

Post by W. »

half joke suggestion: change forum registration anti bot questions to ones related to ZM so that answers can be found in FAQ or README. that would serve two purposes - defeat spam bots that are "trained" to bypass default questions and make real users read docs before they post anything to forums :)
if common sense is so uncommon, why is it called common then?
Hugolp

Post by Hugolp »

W. I am curious. What give you that idea about reading the faqs? :roll:

Hugo
W.

Post by W. »

Hugolp, work with computer users for some 12 years and being misanthrope a bit myself ;)
if common sense is so uncommon, why is it called common then?
robi

Post by robi »

I am using this on my forums:
http://bbantispam.com/
And changing the questions regularly. I use questions like:
'How much is three plus three?'
'Six'
One has to type in textually, the correct answer when registering...
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server
cordel

Post by cordel »

We actualy have something simular implemented here already. Unfortunately, this does not stop human spamers from registering :x
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

Great. Spammers are the scum of the earth. I've had to disable the forums completely at work and we're getting over 3,000 spam emails a day on a little domain where only 100 real mails is the average.

Takes me a lot of time that should be more creatively spent.