Time to change the forum

This is the place for any problems or issues with the website in general or the new forums in particular.
Normando

Time to change the forum

Post by Normando »

Hello

I think it is time to change the forum (phpBB) to a better one. In this forum I can't paste a code because this strip my code.

I think you can migrate to SMF forums. this is very good forum and you can migrate all posts and accounts easy because have an import function. In SMF you can paste a code, and has plugins like pastebin, diff, etc.

http://www.simplemachines.org

Thank you
Normando
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

I have noi idea whats gona happen to Zm or the forums the lead guys seam to have disappeared
mcouture

Post by mcouture »

What do we need to do to keep it going forward?
Normando

Post by Normando »

mcouture wrote:What do we need to do to keep it going forward?
1- Change forum to SMF ( http://www.simplemachines.org )and migrate all users and messages to the new forum

2- Install a bug tracker (easy one is http://codingteam.net who can allow chat, link with code repo svn, and more) accessible for anyone

3- Create one bug in the bug tracker for each bugs found in the forum, and fix it

4- Update the wiki manual to the last 1.24.2 features

All the above steps can do it with only 1 software, such as codingteam, because has forums, wiki, etc. So, you can use codingteam to replace forums, wiki, etc.
mcouture

Post by mcouture »

Normando,

I like the technical suggestions. Unfortunately, isn't ZoneMinder "owned" by someone or is it truely "public domain"? If it's truely public domain then we have the chance to re-create the master "project plan" if you will....but if this is an owned product then we are at the mercy of the owner to continue the project.

I would be willing to dedicate some of my time to help continue this project however I don't have a lot of time.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

If ether of you would like to branch off and another zm project there maybe a few others that might want to branch off. Hopefully if we do that we keep it more open than it currently is.

I do have access to a quad core server we maybe able to use a part of for hosting if you want to branch off the zm.

I know dam well i cant do it alone.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I am still here, just not as often as I would like. I just have virtually no free time at the moment to do anything other than small mods (which go into the SVN trunk). I am planning to do a wrap-up release a soon as I can test the migration which can be used as a base for further development.

Ref the forum, the intention is to move it to phpBB3 but even that is going to be fairly time consuming. TBH the CMS that the whole site is on needs to be ditched and moved to something else more modern, perhaps Drupal. It all takes time though which I do not have at the moment, my 'emails to answer' queue grew by over a hundred just while I was away on vacation recently and I am still working through all of those.
Phil
Normando

Post by Normando »

Sound great Phil!

If we can help you with the migration, or installing the forum and migrate accounts, etc, please tell us.

Best regards
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Same here i have done phpbb2 to 3 migrations its not that bad.

Also its good to hear your not dead or anything.
cordel

Post by cordel »

I'm still here as well and just not as often as I would like but life has gotten in the way. I have done several phpbb2 to phpbb3 migrations as well and had started doing the template for here but it lays in wait on a server at my former home. I'll see if I can get the template and resume work on it where I'm at. I still need to move servers as well so it may be a month or two before I can get to it.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

Maybe you could take advantage of the migration, to do a good cleanup of the users/posts. I have noticed an increment in the spam messages posted lately....

Keep the good work,

PacoLM
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

Phil / Cordel - similar, if there's anything I can do to help, shout.
jdhar

Post by jdhar »

I was going to send this out in another thread eventually, but this is on-topic... if anyone was interested in having a GIT mirror setup, I can do that on my end.

Phil, I don't know if you guys want to avoid having too many developers making changes directly to the repo (esp. since you need an account for each), but I could setup a GIT repo that tracks the upstream SVN, but maintains a separate branch for people to check-in changes. You can then cherry-pick what you want to (or more importantly, don't want to) include when it comes to a new release.

That, and SVN is a pain compared to GIT, at least IMO :) But anyway, if anyone else is interested in this, let me know... I see a lot of good user contributions here, and I think how much better it would be if these were integrated into ZM directly. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to, and it would expand the feature-set of ZM greatly. The independent user-contributions are a pain IMO for those who aren't great at hacking their installs to get the scripts to work.
eyeZm, Native iPhone App for ZoneMinder: http://www.eyezm.com

Version 1.3 now available on iTunes, introduces Montage view, HTTPS/SSL support and H264 native streaming!

Subscribe to RSS feed for updates: http://www.eyezm.com/rssfeed.xml
DREMA

Post by DREMA »

+1000 to all of this.

We all know phil is pretty busy right know to make great changes, but we can help with the forums, the wiki and the main site. I'm currently trying to get some order and new entries on the wiki, have several drafts already.

Also Jai Dhar is a good idea, having a separate git hub for making changes ourselfs, cause there are great user contributions, like the Matroska (.mkv) video exporter, the events merger script, H264 hacks, and lot more.

So, I'm all in on helping with this.
jdhar

Post by jdhar »

I'll work on setting up the GIT repo.
eyeZm, Native iPhone App for ZoneMinder: http://www.eyezm.com

Version 1.3 now available on iTunes, introduces Montage view, HTTPS/SSL support and H264 native streaming!

Subscribe to RSS feed for updates: http://www.eyezm.com/rssfeed.xml