forum registration annoyance

This is the place for any problems or issues with the website in general or the new forums in particular.
roach

forum registration annoyance

Post by roach »

I understand the need to prevent automated bot processes from registering and posting to the forum. However, it can also block legitimate people attempting to register and use the forum.

Recommendation: Website forum give option to resend activation email.

This way if a user's own spam filtering is blocking the message, he or she may turn off the filters and have the web site resend that activation email.

Currently, even if the user attempts to re-register so that he or she may receive a new activation email via that method, the web site forum will kick back an error indicating that the email address is already in the system. Then trying a third time with another email address uses up all the attempts allowed and the individual is locked out for some unknown duration.

Must web sites with a registration facility requiring email with link to activate have an option to resend the activation email.

We don't like bots and spam either.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

This is pretty much standard, off the shelf, phpBB so if anyone knows how this can be configured I would be happy to do it.
Phil
carbon

Post by carbon »

There are two forum mods available from the phpbb site to do this. I’ve not installed either of them on a site I help run so can’t comment on which works better.

Resend Activation Email

or

Resend Account Activation E-mail

It does seem that the board needs to be at least version 2.0.21 for one and 2.0.22 for the other.
Chris
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Noted. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I have added it to the todo list.
Phil
monex

Post by monex »

Maybe the board should be updated to phpbb 3, there is the resend activation button ;)

Next year phpbb2 will be expired http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=900655 and why spent work on a dead end ;)
bryanmci

Post by bryanmci »

I couldn't agree more!!! I've been waiting 4 days for my verification email to come through. I finally gave up, and figured it was caught somewhere in my filtering....

Either way, I ended up setting up this account with my work email (not the best idea, but I need to post, so, what's one to do?).
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

Or switch from PHPBB to SMF. I recently did and love it (running beta).
bryanmci wrote:I couldn't agree more!!! I've been waiting 4 days for my verification email to come through. I finally gave up, and figured it was caught somewhere in my filtering....

Either way, I ended up setting up this account with my work email (not the best idea, but I need to post, so, what's one to do?).
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I will probably go to phpBB3 when I get time to do it. If it takes more then half an hour then it might be a while though as time is at a bit of a premium.
Phil
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I have added a Resend Activation Email mod today.
Phil
carbon

Post by carbon »

bryanmci do you have a hotmail account by any chance as these seem to cause problems as they have very strict policy on there members receiving emails.
The fact that zoneminder.com doesn’t have a valid SPF record either probably isn’t helping. Updating the forum to a newer version or changing to a different one won’t help if there’s no SPF record. Even with one there’s still a chance that emails may end up in your hotmail junk/spam folder.

Sender ID Framework SPF Record Wizard
Chris