Anyone used an indoor camera outdoors?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
RandomJoe

Anyone used an indoor camera outdoors?

Post by RandomJoe »

This sounds silly, but has anyone put an indoor-only (read: CHEAP) camera outdoors?

My house has deep eaves, and I have a couple of spots I could mount a camera outside instead of shooting through the window and get a better field of view. The camera wouldn't get rained on, so the only real problem would be temperature or humdiity. Is the problem just the electronics (the case has vents), or might the optics get fogged over or something? Not sure just how these cameras are constructed...

Looks like temp might be the biggest problem? The specs for my camera say 5-40 C, and winter here can easily go below that...

Alternatively, anyone know of relatively cheap outdoor-rated cameras? I'm not in this for industrial-strength security, it's really more entertainment value for me, with security being a fringe benefit!

Thanks,
Joe
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

A problem you will run into, most indoor cameras use CMOS sensors. If these sensors are put in direct sunlight 'Really Bad Things Could Happen (tm)'. CCD cameras would probably be the best way to go. You can get cheap bullet cameras for under $100 (with IR LED's).

Contact me either by PM or curt@bluecherry.net for pricing on cameras and such.
RandomJoe

Post by RandomJoe »

Okay. I'd seen the reference to direct sunlight. I'm curious, does that mean literally "the sun shining on the CMOS sensor", or would it also mean just being exposted to bright (but reflected) light?

Kind of a moot point, I guess, as the more I've read it has become clear I would want the CCD versions for other reasons too...
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

My biggest problem, even with outdoor cameras is the lens fogging up with moisture getting in. I usually try and cure this by putting in some silicone (or is it silicon, or silica?) beads in to keep it dry. That's here in the UK where it's pretty damp and cold at the moment but if I was using an indoor camera outside I would put a load of those in and also seal and tape any joins in the cover etc.

Phil,