Ubuntu 18.04 ZM Installation Help

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
EJ42

Ubuntu 18.04 ZM Installation Help

Post by EJ42 »

I've never used Ubuntu before, but it seems to be the preferred Linux distribution. The problem is that my other Linux installation experiences ended up with a whole lot of things active and running that I probably didn't need for what I really wanted to do. For example, I was just wanting to do some C++ stuff, but ended up with an active Apache web server and all kinds of other stuff.

All of the ZM installation instructions I've seen already assume you have Ubuntu installed, but without any guidelines on what is the absolute bare minimum installation of Ubuntu possible for ZM to work well.

Can anyone point me to the way to install Ubuntu with absolutely everything disabled that ZM doesn't need?
bbunge

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 ZM Installation Help

Post by bbunge »

The best way to get a bare minimum install of Ubuntu is to use the MinimalCD installer:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD

This downloads a file called mini.iso. Burn it to a CD or make a bootable USB Thumbdrive. Plenty of instructions out there to do that...

Boot the PC from the CD or USB, select language, keyboard and when prompted user and password. You will need to be connected to a network that has access to the internet. Use the entire disk for the file system. When you get through some basic system installs a menu will open. Select LAMP and OpenSSH and nothing else for now. LAMP will install Apache, MySQL and PHP. Reboot when prompted.

Log in (use ssh via Putty from a Windows PC if you want) and follow the instructions here:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way

Use the shell script. Easiest wau to get Zoneminder running!