raspberry pi and linux box for zoneminder

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
momodwannabe

raspberry pi and linux box for zoneminder

Post by momodwannabe »

hi i am new here

So i want to build cctv system form my home yard.
i am planning to build on linux box PC with opensuse installed and raspberry pi with raspbian as transfer agent to linux box.

my scenario is something like this;
basically the ip cam will connect to rpi via usb port, then rpi will transfer video record/streaming to my linux box.
the recording video file will be save on linux box.

the topologi wil be like

ip cam----[usb]------rpi----[ethernet]-----router---[ethernet]----switch----[ethernet-]--linuxBox

linux box act as server, i mean home server so it is not only for cctv server also printer,etc.
some client will have access to streaming or view live video from ip cam.

my questions are
1. is it possible my scenario will work?
2. where do i put or install zoneminder, in linux box or rpi or both?

thanks, appreciated any reply :)
mikb

Re: raspberry pi and linux box for zoneminder

Post by mikb »

IP Cameras usually connect directly to the network, not via USB, and no need for a Raspberry PI at all.

If you mean a USB based webcam, then you would need the PI (or something similar) to convert it to a streaming web-based/IP camera. There are software solutions for this (local webcam to network-streaming)

Can you clarify what model camera you have and its actual connectivity?
momodwannabe

Post by momodwannabe »

glad to hear no need to put rpi in this system.
btw thanks for reply, sorry took long to reply back.

i use ip cam robot N806F icsee, it is hard to find the reference.
i think they have online cloud at xmeye[dot]net

btw i am in middle of installation now.
i have add this camera to zoneminder pages, but nothing video appears on screeen, it keeps loading from my linux server
i add cam IP on remote hostname then save

the camera connect via ethernet to switch. camera get ip from router (dhcp) 10.2.2.0/24
linux server = 10.2.2.254
ip cam = 10.2.2.5
gateway = 10.2.2.1

mikb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm IP Cameras usually connect directly to the network, not via USB, and no need for a Raspberry PI at all.

If you mean a USB based webcam, then you would need the PI (or something similar) to convert it to a streaming web-based/IP camera. There are software solutions for this (local webcam to network-streaming)

Can you clarify what model camera you have and its actual connectivity?

update
i am now able to add camera to zoneminder, but somehow it shows bluescreen only with time and date on left corner screen..
am i missing something on configuration?
mikb

Post by mikb »

Blue screen with time and date usually means you have the resolution incorrect: The resolution of the camera must match the width and height you have selected in Zoneminder to the exact pixel.

Check the size of the image the camera is returning (e.g. using VLC or another app that shows you the stream from the camera, and then check the settings in ZoneMinder match.
momodwannabe

Post by momodwannabe »

thanks @mikb
i have change the video resolution, still i got blue screen.
i check there are lot error on apache log.

i am going to create new threads on zoneminder area.