zoneminder local access using external WAN address, loopback, nat, tomato

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
AnotherBrian

zoneminder local access using external WAN address, loopback, nat, tomato

Post by AnotherBrian »

How do I configure my tomato router so that I can access zoneminder from a device internal to the LAN using the external WAN IP address? I believe this is what is called a NAT Loopback.

Hardware: ISP router (DMZ) ---- home router ---- zoneminder

I have an ISP router configured as DMZ with no port forwarding.

I have home router configured as:
Port Forwarding/Basic: Protocol Both (UDP,TCP), Extr Ports (90,443),Int Address (192.168.1.5)

Assume my WAN address is 25.15.19.5. Devices external to my LAN can access zoneminder using the WAN address. Internal devices to my LAN can access the zoneminder using 19.168.1.5. However, internal devices cannot access zoneminder using the WAN address 25.15.19.5.

Next I configure
Port Forwarding/UPnP/NAT-PMP: Enable UPnP On, Enable NAT-PMP On, and Enabled On LAN On. Tomato automatically set Inactive Rules Cleaning On, Cleaning Interval 60 Seconds, Cleaning Threshold 20 Redirectsions, Secure Mode (when enabled, UPnP clients are allowed to add mappings only to their IP) On

I have reason to believe that using my internal device that it never gets to the apache server using 25.15.19.5 but with 25.15.19.5/zm I believe apache is accessed resulting in 404 Not Found.
bbunge

Re: zoneminder local access using external WAN address, loopback, nat, tomato

Post by bbunge »

Bridge the isp router and use it as a modem only. Then set port forwarding on your router to the Zoneminder server.
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

regarding bridging: Been there, done that, but .................

xfinity router placed in bridge mode occasionally drops communication with the home router. this problem is reported on several websites. Renewing the lease on the wan from the home router just hangs as renewing. rebooting the home router clears the problem. Problem may repeat several times a week or several times in a day. It is a pain in the @$$.

I could change out the xfinity defective routers with docsis 1.1 modem but they are a bit pricey for my taste.

I have a theory that this is an attempt by xfinity to make you use their wireless.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Clone the Comcast MAC address to your router.

Double NAT on something like that can be a pain. You could also change the 2nd router to an access point and use the Comcast router for the rest of the services.