HD Analog Cameras, HD-TVI, HD-SDI, AHD

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
snake

HD Analog Cameras, HD-TVI, HD-SDI, AHD

Post by snake »

Anyone have experience with HD Analog Camera technologies?

The general consensus here is to ignore or rip out coaxial, and install new IP cameras. While I agree that ethernet is the best, existing cctv installs might have hundreds of feet of coaxial run. It's crazy to only run new ethernet. There's no reason not to use both coax and ethernet.

That being said, there are different HD coax camera technologies. I imagine the video specs for these are not as vetted as NTSC and PAL were. The tech is newer and infrequently used. This raises a red flag. The different technologies seem to be HD-CVI, AHD, HD-TVI, and HD-SDI. All were made recently, I think. Does anyone have opinions or experience with these technologies?

Also, does anyone know of the upper limit for coax resolution? Will HD analog cameras be limited due to coax and physics? IP cameras don't have such a limit, yet.
Baylink

Re: HD Analog Cameras, HD-TVI, HD-SDI, AHD

Post by Baylink »

I strongly suspect that even SD-SDI, much less HD-SDI, won't run comfortably, if at all, over the grade of cable used for baseband NTSC; I suspect the others won't either; they don't over-spec that cable, as much of it as they sell.
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

As for the upper limit, you can probably get 150MHz though that grade of Coax without too much trouble, which gets you analog HD, but I don't know about the other parameters of the wire and how they'd interact with digital.

I note that no one seems to be doing this commercial, and I draw inferences...
snake

Post by snake »

How about a coax to ethernet adapter (e.g. moca), and just run an IP camera at the other end...

Anyone have experience with this?

One problem: you'd need a CCTV specific product, as most adapters are meant for one connection (home LANs e.g. DXN 221), whereas most systems have multiple coax lines... And there will be a box at either end of the cable, so it's messy - Each camera needing an adapter. Outdoors is tricky.

Two: there's potential issues of signal loss. As Baylink mentioned.

As an aside, if a home has cable but not ethernet wired, you can use these (their original purpose, no less) to easily get a wired network. I've known about this for some time now, but not yet implemented it.