Traffic: Routers, Switches, Wireless Access, IP Cameras

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
AnotherBrian

Traffic: Routers, Switches, Wireless Access, IP Cameras

Post by AnotherBrian »

I am converting my 5 camera analog system to IP cameras. My issue resolves around managing my non zoneminder traffic with the zoneminder traffic in the network so performance is not dimished for the non zoneminder traffic. I am all wired for the IP cameras (originally I used cat5 cable with frequency boosters thus avoiding coax for analog cameras). I may add 3 more cameras inside the house for watching the pets and so was thinking of using wireless for these so they are more mobile but maybe instead use wired. I will be using a POE switch to power the IP cameras.

An example architecture is as follows:

WAN---[moden]----[WirelessRouter]-----[Zoneminder]-----[POE Switch]
with all the other home traffic connected direct to the WirelessRouter.
So the zoneminder machine has 2 LAN ports.

This will leave the 3 wireless IP cameras mixed with the non-zoneminder traffic. Will this choke up the router or should I add a wireless access point to the POE switch. Or maybe I should dump the extra lan port on the zoneminder machine and have the POE Switch connected direct to the wireless router.

Or maybe there is no performance issues here at all.....

Thoughts?
AnotherBrian

Re: Traffic: Routers, Switches, Wireless Access, IP Cameras

Post by AnotherBrian »

Note that the wireless router has both wired and wireless devices connected.
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

I've got that set up, kind of.

WAN <> Cable modem <> AdTrap <> WiFi router <> wired switch <> POE switch <> ZM & cams

My IP cameras and zoneminder box are all plugged into the POE switch. Effectively all the zoneminder traffic is in a separate collision domain on the POE switch.

My desktop systems, media server, and other devices all get on the network at the wired switch. The mobile devices use the WiFi. So far this setup is working nicely, haven't seen any issues with network congestion.

On this setup I'm running 5 IP HiDef cams that have the 1920x1080 feed and a low def feed.
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

I like your suggestion. With the setup I had proposed there were two separate lans which had not connectivity to each others.
Thanks

Regarding adtrap the issue here is increased latency for everything talking out to the WAN plus you have to trust the maker of the device. I found a discusssion of it in overclock:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... p?t=721587

One dude references this link for blocking connections to a prescribed list of hosts: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/

Whether this is all that adtrap does or if it performs more analysis I do not know.
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

AdTrap has forums at http://forums.getadtrap.com/forums/

Haven't seen anything to make me think the AdTrap is slowing down anything. The big advantage I see with it is that it filters ads on everything, including iPhone, iPad etc. can't do a hosts list on an iPad. Plus I don't have to configure ad blockers on each device.
Haundasa

Post by Haundasa »

Whether this is all that adtrap does or if it performs more analysis I do not know.
Setze dir ein hohes Ziel...Setze dir ein festes, kein unbestimmtes Ziel. Setze dir ein unerschütterliches, kein wackliges Ziel!
abzstrak

Post by abzstrak »

in a business setting you would use VLAN's. If you have a router with DDWRT, openWRT or similar you could setup VLAN's as well..... or use separate LANs

I gotta ask though, you shouldn't have that high of bit rate, I can't imagine 8 cams at more than 15MBps combined, and on a gigabit network that is negligible overhead. Even on 100MBps it wouldn't be too big of a deal.