Huacam HCV701/HCV712 vs. Axis 702w

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
intelligen

Huacam HCV701/HCV712 vs. Axis 702w

Post by intelligen »

It seems the Axis cameras are very capable and very popular with ZoneMinder users. I was thinking about getting an Axis 207w, but just ran across the Huacam which is pretty inexpensive while also seeming pretty capable in terms of its specs. Does anyone have experience with the Huacam? How does it compare to the Axis camera?

Edit: I ordered a Huacam HCV712 which has similar specs to the Axis 702w. I haven't used the Axis camera, but I'll let you know how I like the Huacam.
intelligen

Re: Huacam HCV701/HCV712 vs. Axis 702w

Post by intelligen »

Update: so far, aside from the somewhat narrow FOV (compared to my other security cams), the HCV712 seems pretty decent for the money. The camera actually has more features than I expected, and the web interface is pretty straightforward, aside from the motion detection, which was unintuitive at first.
rzeune

Re: Huacam HCV701/HCV712 vs. Axis 702w

Post by rzeune »

I've had a Huacam HCV701 up for several months now. I originally bought it so that I could do the motion detection in the camera and keep the backend dirt cheap. But I just couldn't get it to work reliably, so I just set it to stream at 3fps and dedicated a cheap Linux box with zm on it. The video quality is great, and overall I really like the camera. But I get a lot of events from changing light conditions, like when the sun goes behind a cloud. Being new to zm, I haven't figured out how to filter these yet.