Saving videos to NFS

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
valid

Saving videos to NFS

Post by valid »

I'm running ZM on a VM hosted on WHS - WHS has a large drive that I'd like ZM to use for storing all recordings, so I set up an NFS -- I can access it via File Browser with:
smb:192.168.1.50/sharename/

But I can't figure out how to access the folder via terminal. Is there a better way to do this?

* Note: I cannot just share the HDD via VMWare because it's not a linux drive (leastaways, that's what I think the problem is)
agoodm

Post by agoodm »

mkdir /mnt/smbfs
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.50/sharename /mnt/smbfs -o user=username,password=password

Then look in /mnt/smbfs
valid

Post by valid »

agoodm wrote:mkdir /mnt/smbfs
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.50/sharename /mnt/smbfs -o user=username,password=password

Then look in /mnt/smbfs
Awesome! That did work, mostly - I now have the mount in that folder, all visible, but I don't have write access to it for some reason. I've even included the -w flag, but to no avail.

Any ideas how I can mount with read/write permissions? Again, using smb://192.168.1.50/share works perfect -- has read/write, just can't access it except through file browser
valid

Post by valid »

This is the guide I used to set up the NFS:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/12 ... fs-in-whs/
valid

Post by valid »

I was able to link the HDD directly to Ubuntu using the fstab, but the changes seem to be local (not adding to the HDD, just a cache of the structure or something) so that's not working. If anyone can help me get Ubuntu correctly hooked up to an NFS, I'd really appreciate it.
coke

Post by coke »

Mount the smbfs (for the record, you're mounting smbfs with url you've been using, not an nfs) by putting this in your fstab.

Code: Select all

//server/share /mnt/nameme smbfs credentials=/etc/credentials,uid=www-data,gid=www-data,fmask=0770,dmask=0770 0 0
credentials file should include two lines

Code: Select all

username=insertusernamehere
password=insertpasswordhere
Once that's in the fstab, a "sudo mount /mnt/nameme" should work, and/or it'll come up on reboot.

I'm not sure how vmware deals with shares, as I've been converted to VirtualBox for a while, but VirtualBox works much faster if you use the guest additions and make the host shares accessible to the guest under a different name.
valid

Post by valid »

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

The only hiccup I had after that was having to 'chown' the symlink from root to www-data.

Thanks again!