Internet-Enabled Automatic Cat Feeder (using ZM of course!)

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
MJN

Internet-Enabled Automatic Cat Feeder (using ZM of course!)

Post by MJN »

Hi all,

For a long while now we have used our ZM installation to keep an eye on the cats whilst we're out, including having a dedicated camera on the catflap so we can determine who is in/out and monitoring for any unauthorised guests...

So.. it seemed like logical progression to build on this setup by incorporating the ZM functionality into a fully-featured Internet-Enabled Automatic Cat Feeder by bringing in a modified Cisco switch, cereal dispenser and a high-torque motor!

You can see the results at www.newtonnet.co.uk/catfeeder but to keep this post at least a little on-topic for the forum here are the web-interfaces which, as you can see, employ a ZM feed for the live monitoring as well as access to the previously-recorded events...

Standard:
(click for larger version)

'Lite':

Despite me having built and used it for a while now there's still a certain 'wow factor' to be had from actually interacting with the subject on the monitor... I think I'm going to have get myself a PTZ camera to play around with...

Mathew
curtishall

Re: Internet-Enabled Automatic Cat Feeder (using ZM of cours

Post by curtishall »

Very cool
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
dhcpy

Post by dhcpy »

hahaha, what a great invention!
is so cool how you managed to make that cisco switch to do that!
archangel689

Re: Internet-Enabled Automatic Cat Feeder (using ZM of cours

Post by archangel689 »

awesome. Maybe you can make one for my neighborhood that does something similar....hehe
:twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wua9GHK-14M

MJN wrote:Hi all,

For a long while now we have used our ZM installation to keep an eye on the cats whilst we're out, including having a dedicated camera on the catflap so we can determine who is in/out and monitoring for any unauthorised guests...

So.. it seemed like logical progression to build on this setup by incorporating the ZM functionality into a fully-featured Internet-Enabled Automatic Cat Feeder by bringing in a modified Cisco switch, cereal dispenser and a high-torque motor!

You can see the results at www.newtonnet.co.uk/catfeeder but to keep this post at least a little on-topic for the forum here are the web-interfaces which, as you can see, employ a ZM feed for the live monitoring as well as access to the previously-recorded events...

Standard:

'Lite':

Despite me having built and used it for a while now there's still a certain 'wow factor' to be had from actually interacting with the subject on the monitor... I think I'm going to have get myself a PTZ camera to play around with...

Mathew