Wireless Mesh for Zoneminder 2.0

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
newvisionantenna

Wireless Mesh for Zoneminder 2.0

Post by newvisionantenna »

I've been out of the loop lately with tons of work and events coming up. In the past I've enjoyed working with all sorts of router's and Openwrt for a DIY wireless CCTV solution. Here lately I've been playing with Open-Mesh devices that run Robin-Mesh firmware. It's all based on Openwrt, but in this case it's a highly refined way of building self healing networks. Why am i brining this up? We'll lately the interest for Camera support on the same network as a hotspot has come up. Since I've already worked this angle and know how to put it altogether I thought I would once again spark some interest here and get some people playing around with it. The newest Robin-Mesh firmware has a web gui that allows port forwarding into, on, and out of the mesh so Camera'a Plugged into Lan ports or connected wirelessly could easily be reached by a remote or local Zoneminder Server.

More to come when I have time to package up my new Zoneminder DVD with a new mesh controlling dash and real time maps. Almost forgot, for anyone that has a RouterStation, got a little treat coming out. Let's just say, probalby the World's smallest Zoneminder server with wireless, usb, and mini pci support.
holdup

Mesh

Post by holdup »

Hi there,

I had an idea for a community security solution. Having been broken in to twice in the last 9 months I'm investing in an 8 camera zoneminder solution. However I'd like to consider the possibility of packaging up a solution for my neighbours that can link in a wireless mesh manner so that :-
a) the cameras can be accessed by anyone in the community
b) potentially the files can be stored on a number of servers in case one gets damaged or stolen during a break in, evidence can still be obtained.

If anyone has any ideas on how we could achieve this I'd be really interested in speaking to you. Please pm or reply and I'll get in touch.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

I had it all running awhile back, coolest thing. Would do exactly what you need. Find a bunch of netgear wgt634u routers and usb cams laying around and I'll give you everything you need.