IP Camera with Infrared capability

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

That is true, you could even use your home wireless router. The mesh builder was really for large area's or hard to reach places where you could atleast get power but maybe not tons of cables. The other thought was to use low prices lan camera's and the cheap repeaters to setup a very low cost solution. If the one main AP signal can reach all the area's you need then you probably wouldn't need repeaters.

If you already have a LinksysGL then just flash it with the one main AP firmware and save the 2nd firmware if you want to add repeaters later. That way if you can't get a camera to connect to the main AP because of distance you could always grab another GL and flash it with the repeater firmware and it will connect right up to the network.
coke

Post by coke »

What's to stop you is budget. The cheapest wireless IP camera I would use from current experience is an Axis 207W, which is roughly $275 USD.

NVA's explained how his routers work, but I think you've missed his point that theoretically you can use his cheap routers with cheap USB cams, and have better coverage with the mesh networking.

Another point he's made, is that none of the old-school ZM crowd seems to have tried this setup yet. (Axis cams definitely and consistently work, we use these things in production environments) Looks interesting, and potentially quite useful, but I haven't had the time to start playing with it yet.
newvisionantenna

NVA's explained how his routers work, but I think you've missed his point that theoretically you can use his cheap routers with cheap USB cams, and have better coverage with the mesh networking.
This is true, all routers flashed with the firmware our mesh builder makes will allow a very limited support for usb webcams. I've tested the Logitech zoom, and several other old Logitechs. The firwmare really only has support for the spca5xx, pwc, and one other driver. You'll get about 1 frame every 4 seconds and a default 320x240.

This is not the best result, but is very cheap. I've had great results with Openwrt but our mesh builder does not use that currently. What I was thining would really be the best combo is cheap Lan type camera's plugged into the mesh network. This would do away with long lengths of cable and really only require power at the point of install. Plus you could add in Wireless cam's at any point because your signal is going to be extended all over the place and WPA2 encrypted.

I'm just happy to see someone grasping the concept and willing to try it out. I know for a fact it works because I have it setup right here around my house.
adder_uk

Post by adder_uk »

very interesting thread guys
I have just ordered one of these http://bifferos.bizhat.com/ and will attempt to get it working with a very cheap logitech e3500 camera (uvc compliant)
I am very much a KISS sort of guy and like the idea of using cheap, high quality usb cameras - I think I will invest in the Logitech Sphere next...
my idea is simply to capture the image from the cameras and be able to monitor or email an alert as required. Not sure if I even need to use Zoneminder for this or could get away with a simpler setup using the motion software?
cheers
newvisionantenna

Let me know how that device works out. Openwrt is very powerful and flexabile so you might be lucky have find the proper packages precomipiled. You can totally use just motion for what your needing. I've got it all working with this router,

Planex (PCI) MZK-W04NU, 32MB RAM and 8MB flash, USB port, 10/100 Ethernet

I have a precompied firmware with every usb and video option you need. It runs the LuCi GUI so you can also setup your home network with it. I've also got Motion setup on it and all configured to do everything you mention. It can send emails and also wput files to a remote server. It's pretty slick and the result web stream on the router can also be pumped into Zoneminder if needed.

I don't want to get to far off topic, really want to see a couple more people trying out the wireless network builder. If I find time I'll check out that device and maybe even order one.
newvisionantenna

Sorry, couldn't resist. That little board you showed me is pretty neat. I started looking at the wiki on it and it already has about 99% of the packages needed to enable usb 2.0 and video with the UVC driver already done. The only thing that's not listed is mjpg_streamer or motion. I'm sure I could get it compiled or get someone to help me. Would be pretty neat but I think the cost would start to add up if you wanted wireless and or a case for it.
noah35

Post by noah35 »

Hi Aaron,

Just wondering mate, can you suggest any good Ethernet or USB cameras that I can connect to the ASUS 520GU, and that will also work with Zoneminder?
Kind regards,

Noah
adder_uk

Post by adder_uk »

noah35 wrote:can you suggest any good Ethernet or USB cameras that I can connect to the ASUS 520GU, and that will also work with Zoneminder?
hi noah
I believe you need a UVC compliant camera for USB use with the mjpg_streamer software.
check out Logitech's offerings - the 9000 is very good apparently
How are you getting on with the 520gu? have you flashed it with openwrt?
cheers
adder

list of logitech uvc compliant cameras
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi ... faqid=6471
newvisionantenna

This is a rather hard question to answer. I don't actually have the 520gu but as far as I can tell Openwrt 2.6 Kernel does not work on it yet. You need the 2.6 version to even get UVC support so unless that works it's out the window. So, the dd-wrt firwmare I built for it has a 2.4 kernel and runs spca5xx and the pwc driver. There is scripts built into the firmware that start up a very slow stream that can be viewed via the web and also feed into Zoneminder.

The logitech Zoom, older white looking camera works fine on it. I picked up one brand new for $13 and have it here. The only way your going to get everything working like I have and use mjpg_streamer, Orbit AF or other UVC camera, and full wireless support is the following.

1. Buy the WL500W router.
2. Buy an atheros mini pci wireless card, open the case and change it out.
3. Flash the router with Openwrt 8.09 Final using the br47xx generic image.
4. Install the madwifi driver, mjpg_streamer, and correct Kmod packages.

You'll have a strong platform that will run more then one UVC usb camera, stream at crazy resolution, and still have the ability to run in Wireless Client mode with WPA to connect to your home network.