My Zoneminder is working flawlessly. It busted 2 criminals!

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
theorganloft

My Zoneminder is working flawlessly. It busted 2 criminals!

Post by theorganloft »

This is an update with some personal experience updates.

I installed a 16 camera Zoneminder system at my church in April. Since then it caught 1 criminal member and busted people telling lies. The criminal was busted stealing a cell phone. He denied that he did it until the Police Officer showed him the video of the offense that we put on DVD. He had violated his parole and was sent back to Jail. The cell phone was returned to the owner.

The other incident saved the Pastor from Prosecution where a member said that he pushed him and he called the Police. The member was shocked when the Police officer showed him to be the aggressor on the DVD. The Pastor did not press charges. The member left the church.

This system runs and runs and runs. It does not complain or crash. I have to force myself to go check it becuase I trust it that much!

My suggestion is that when you set up a system like this, divide the system into 2 systems. If you plan to use 16 camaras, Build two 8 or 16 port systems then alternale the camera connections between the two systems. For eample, if you have a hall with 2 cameras, put each camera on alternate systems. Do the same for the entire building. In addition, I would also build a third system and separate the outside building from the inside. Also, spend good money on good cameras. Night Vision cameras are OK but I supplement with automatic Night Vision Spotlights around the AC Units.

Good luck and keep watching them.
"Organs are my passion but music is my goal"
"Open Source and Open Mind help one to Open mine"
Lee Sharp

Re: My Zoneminder is working flawlessly. It busted 2 crimina

Post by Lee Sharp »

theorganloft wrote:My suggestion is that when you set up a system like this, divide the system into 2 systems. If you plan to use 16 camaras, Build two 8 or 16 port systems then alternale the camera connections between the two systems. For eample, if you have a hall with 2 cameras, put each camera on alternate systems. Do the same for the entire building. In addition, I would also build a third system and separate the outside building from the inside. Also, spend good money on good cameras. Night Vision cameras are OK but I supplement with automatic Night Vision Spotlights around the AC Units.
Why? You can sub-divide the cameras into groups, but use one box. That way your timeline can show all the cameras. Not sure what dividing gives you... But you are right on the cameras. Don't cheap out here. :)