zoneminder update at the church. Works Great!

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
theorganloft

zoneminder update at the church. Works Great!

Post by theorganloft »

I just wanted to give an update on my 16 camera Zoneminder install at a local church. It runs 24 hours a day and has not failed. It caught several criminals (church members!) with their hands in the pot and an outside criminal that was trying to mess with the AC units. Theft has stopped after they see that the system is catching folks in the act.

I have the IR cameras outside and I only have trouble with spiders on the one that is near a flood light. The spider is using the camera as an anchor point for a large cob web. I have to knock it down at least once a month. Moths do like to peer into the infrared but they are not too bad.

I went on vacation and travel for a month and left the system unattended for at least 2 months. I thought for sure that it would have some problems during that period. I was wrong. It was just chugging along when I got back and the UPS logs reported that it had reset during a power outage at least once.

This is a great system and I intend to add a second unit where one will support the outside and the other for the inside. I realized over time that outside activity keeps the system very busy. On the outside system we are going to add PTZ cameras for the parking lots.

I have learned how to clean up and archive the database well.
At this point, one (1) 500 gb drives is more than sufficient for the task. I can keep a couple of months worth of events on disk and with the DVD writer, I can archive indefinitely. This is overkill but useful when someone asks for older events.

This is a great system for surveillance if you build it right.
"Organs are my passion but music is my goal"
"Open Source and Open Mind help one to Open mine"
coke

PTZ

Post by coke »

What's your plan for the PTZ? I've been wondering if I could justify one for my large parking lot. I was thinking it wouldn't be all that helpful unless I had someone watching it full time, but what's your plan, or anyone elses? Do you have it randomly slowly cruise the whole area that it covers?

I feel like if I tried that than whatever "incident" occured would be be when the camera was facing the other direction.
theorganloft

Re: PTZ

Post by theorganloft »

coke wrote:What's your plan for the PTZ? I've been wondering if I could justify one for my large parking lot. I was thinking it wouldn't be all that helpful unless I had someone watching it full time, but what's your plan, or anyone elses? Do you have it randomly slowly cruise the whole area that it covers?

I feel like if I tried that than whatever "incident" occured would be be when the camera was facing the other direction.
During services we have a need to have a security person monitor the parking lots. Instead of them walking around they want the cameras to act on motion when there is activity. I am hoping that Zone will start recording when the camera follows that motion. With this extra duty, I feel the need to build a dedicated system for the outside and possibly 2 systems where 1 is for PTZ's and the other is for stationary.
"Organs are my passion but music is my goal"
"Open Source and Open Mind help one to Open mine"
curtishall

Re: PTZ

Post by curtishall »

Have you thought about a auto-tracking PTZ?
theorganloft wrote:
coke wrote:What's your plan for the PTZ? I've been wondering if I could justify one for my large parking lot. I was thinking it wouldn't be all that helpful unless I had someone watching it full time, but what's your plan, or anyone elses? Do you have it randomly slowly cruise the whole area that it covers?

During services we have a need to have a security person monitor the parking lots. Instead of them walking around they want the cameras to act on motion when there is activity. I am hoping that Zone will start recording when the camera follows that motion. With this extra duty, I feel the need to build a dedicated system for the outside and possibly 2 systems where 1 is for PTZ's and the other is for stationary.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
coke

Post by coke »

I've thought about it, but it's a big parking lot. Which of the 300 cars/patrons may or it may not track? If we could build an "accident detector" or "assault detector" into the auto-tracking, that would be wonderful. :)

I'm getting my 223M (outdoor axis megapixel) today, hopefullly I'll get either enough coverage, or enough satisfaction to convince the money-spenders to get me one for the other side.

Actually, I've thought a lot about auto-tracking, I'm planning some day to have a variety of auto-tracking camera systems that actually move around and kinda chase the user (fixed to a wall or something, not running after them) for an art project. I'm way early in that planning, but in addition to doing wonders for my security needs, I'm learning. And I want an auto-tracking pigeon gun or two, maybe compressed air.