planning home area cover

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
konctl

planning home area cover

Post by konctl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:12 am

Hello,

I am planning the cover around my house and I 'd like to ask for you help.

My house is in the middle of a rectangular field/garden (4000 square meters, 1 acre). I want to secure the whole field, in the sense that I want to detect if someone is around the fence or breaks in through fence. Ideally, record the license plates of a car driving outside the field. (Recently thiefs cut the fence, stole some equipment and drove away in their truck parked just outside, in the middle of the day!)

The entrance of the field is important to cover, since it is next to the power supply and someone could cut the power cable which provides power in the house (and in the surveillance system that I will build). The entrance is around 30 meters away from the house. The most distant point of the fence is around 60 meters away from the house.

Should I try to cover the perimeter on the fence with many cheaper/2MP cams or attach better (maybe 4-5MP) cams on the balconies of the house so as to cover more (but not all) of the area of the field? The field is full of trees (only few tall ones, more olive trees, fruit trees, bushes, etc.). Also, there is a couple of small barns/warehouses.

My budget is not great, since I am a beginner, but I would like to start with a plan and add to the system as I learn. I haven't bought anything yet.

Any recommendation is welcome.
Many thanks.

mikb

Re: planning home area cover

Post by mikb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 pm

konctl wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:12 am
someone could cut the power cable which provides power in the house (and in the surveillance system that I will build).
Addressing this point specifically, as you are designing the system, budget for a UPS. It doesn't have to be huge. It does have to have a way of keeping your cameras, any IP-networking (hubs, routers, power-over-ethernet) and your system running ZoneMinder, working!

Any decent home alarm system has a built in battery to provide a "UPS" function, so burglars can't just cut the power and walk in. Same should apply to your cameras :)