Looking to find best price on SMP PC parts

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
cordel

Looking to find best price on SMP PC parts

Post by cordel »

I'm looking to build an AMD MP or athalon dual processor system for making builds.
I learned how to run multiple distros on one machine in a chrooted environment. By doing this I'd be able to make packages for any distro really easy (after I learn the spacifics of the distros of course) and it only take a few moments to replace a corrupt envirnoment. The big thing is it takes a lot of proc/mem to do this. The other nice thing is I can keep two copys of each distro so there is always a backup and I could go as far as three copys so one version is for testing. The best pricing I found so far is ~$250 each proc (thats for the slowest AMD MP) and about $300 to $500 for the board. Anyone know where I might find these two items any cheaper?
Thanks,
Cordel

Post by cordel »

Some thing that I had not considered is donations till someone brought it to my attention.
Donations can be made at http://www.computerntelecom.com No amount is to small, every little bit will help. Parts donations also excepted, just PM me on either website.
Cheers,
Cordel

Post by cordel »

I have given up on the SMP dual proc screamin demon and moved my web to an older machine. The web box will now serve as the build machine running a PIII 1GHz and 1Gig of RAMBUS. It will take a bit for me to get the other virtual machines installed but for now it supports FC3 and FC4. I'll get FC2 in the coming days if anyone is still interested in that distro (err, soon as I find what I did with those disks) then start on Mandrake. Other distros may follow (deb, slack, etc...) but the RH based stuff is simular enough that I know what I'm doing. If anyone that knows how to package for these other distro's and can/will fill me in I'll try to make it happen. Another alternative would be I could give ssh access to that VM to someone to setup. For the moment though I'm consentrating on FC/RH/MD.
Regards,
Cordel
steffy123

Re: Looking to find best price on SMP PC parts

Post by steffy123 »

Hii!

I am looking for a motherboard and RAM at an affordable price, so please suggest me some good motherboards and RAM.