how do you digitally capture AnalogHD (ie 720p) cameras?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
diesel

how do you digitally capture AnalogHD (ie 720p) cameras?

Post by diesel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:37 am

Something i've been trying to figure out...

I've seen for sale those impossibly cheap chinese security DVR's, which to be honest I trust about as far as I can throw them. (since I keep hearing of stories of like shipping with backdoors, sending packets to china if you try to use their "stream to phone" options, and other things) Yet they seem a great source of very inexpensive cameras - namely 1280x720p rated analog cameras, which are designed to use standard/common CCTV BNC type wiring and cables apparently.

What I can't figure out is how would I connect one of those cameras to a computer, such as for use with zoneminder, let alone any other capture or security system? Either for single frame grabs or for higher frame rate motion?

Component cables use three, obviously the BNC connection is one, I don't know if adapters are made or if it's deliberately noncompatible or what capture card would support it or anything... when I see whole DVR sets with cameras (for less than the cost of a single IP camera) it seems like something I might want to get, while planning to later possibly toss out the DVR (or replace it with a PC in the future) but that obviously requires getting the signal into the computer first.

iconnor

Re: how do you digitally capture AnalogHD (ie 720p) cameras?

Post by iconnor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:17 pm

You need a capture card.

Most of those dvr's actually are running linux. A little googling will often provide you with the root password for them. Hacking them to do something useful may be more trouble than it is worth though. The capture card in them is normally driven using a binary blob.

Given the price of network cameras, I'd say just stick with network cameras.

diesel

Re: how do you digitally capture AnalogHD (ie 720p) cameras?

Post by diesel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Well yes I know I need a capture card, but either i'm searching for the wrong terms or am not sure where to look. Could you suggest some that capture full resolution stills and video?

Are there linux based DVR's known to be more hackable than others in the sense of being able to run nonproprietary software (I dont trust the chinese stuff with all the backdoors i hear about https://www.rt.com/news/393206-chinese- ... k-webcams/ as today's example) or to be networked somehow into other systems? (maybe even including zone alarm in some future feature, like to let it motion flag itself and trigger it to record but record to the DVR instead of over the ethernet, and only process some images of its own for further inspection or something) Or hacks to make it easy to export the recorded video files since I dont know if most will export esp on lower end?

All the network HD cameras i've seen are like $200 for one, that buys a complete DVR with four 720p cameras from what I recall...