Spiders & other insects

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
gregmac

Spiders & other insects

Post by gregmac »

I have a bullet camera (color/b&w IR) mounted on the corner of our building, just below the soffit. There's a big field and some woods beind us, which means we get lots of bugs. There's quite a few spiders that build webs in there. Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures right now, but there was one that was building a web DIRECTLY in front of the camera almost every night, and pretty much totally blocking the view. (The IR was reflecting off the web, so it showed up as a lot of bright white lines. The spider itself would also show up as a bright white blob).

I have also had problems with a (or multiple?) hornet that sits on the lens and spins in circles.. I saw it about a week ago (I've been on vacation until today) and it was back just now, so I killed it. I don't know if it was the same hornet or what, since it hasn't built a nest or anything, but it was doing the exact same thing today it was doing then. Maybe it likes the heat from the IR LEDs? There's an identical camera on a post on the other side of the lot, and I haven't had any problems with that one.

Anyways, does anyone else have problems like this? What have you done to combat insect problems? It would really be a pain to move this camera, since 1) it's in a nice spot, shielded from the elements, 2) it has a good view of the parking lot, and 3) there's just not many other places to put it, short of putting up a pole or something.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

This is something i have a problem with too, we have been fitting ir cameras for years but i fitted my first combined camera and emmiter on my own house. As this is a problem athat only affects me and not the other cameras we fit i did a little investigation and its the ir the bugs like. The only solution i can come up with is to split the emmiter and the camera. If you can come up wityh another ill be impressed

James
zherebet

Post by zherebet »

Try putting one of those high pitch devices that send out a signal that humans cannot hear but bugs/spiders hate. That should keep them away from the cameras.
Regards,

Ilya Zherebetskiy
gregmac

Post by gregmac »

So far all I can find about those devices is that they're a scam and don't actually work ;) Do you actually have any good experience with them?

There are spider repellant sprays and stuff, but they seem more short-term and for indoor use.. I'm trying to stop them from building webs just in a small outdoor area in front of the camera.

I'm also not sure that it's just the IR -- I just saw a hornet doing his thing in the middle of the day (3pm): movie (2838KB), and one was there earlier this morning too.
cordel

Post by cordel »

I have one camera that I don't have to many problems with and it's a pinhole lens. So it is flush with the exterior of the house. The lights for the area are located 4 meters away from the camera but they are not IR.
Regards,
Cordel
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

That hornet is a nasty looking insect! I don't have too much bother other than with spiders, but I try and keep the area in front of the cameras clear so they don't feel they have to hang out by it.

As far as wasps etc go I would think it has to be one of (a) heat, (b) light or (c) soem chemical in/on your camera that is attracting them. I just don't know which it might be!

Phil
Geo99M6Z

Post by Geo99M6Z »

Does the camera have IR LEDs?

If so, insects are very attracted to IR. I have the same problem in the summer time. Moths are more prone if there is another light source around, they will be attracted to the IR light.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Unfortunately I've (accidentally) deleted them but I had some great shots of a magpie flying up to one of my cameras and giving it a rather prolonged inspection!

Phil