Mixing Storage - Fast (SSD) and Slow (HDD)

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
AnotherBrian

Mixing Storage - Fast (SSD) and Slow (HDD)

Post by AnotherBrian »

Is there a mechanism to store images on SSD and as the SSD fills up, then move the older images onto a hard drive?
So to do this, zoneminder needs to support browsing the older images.

For example, one could use an SSD to store the first 3 days of images. Then older images are occasionally moved off to cheap storage.

I suppose other features would possibly include reducing the fps on the older drive.
So zoneminder might record at 5 fps on SSD. That stores for maybe 3 days. Then "archive" it to HDD at 1fps.

Another possibility might be to have 2 zoneminders, one which is live and recording. Another zoneminder would have access to just the HDD stored trafffic. This then pulls off the load from the live zoneminder when people just want to look at historical images.

Thanks
iconnor

Re: Mixing Storage - Fast (SSD) and Slow (HDD)

Post by iconnor »

Yes there is.
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

Good! Could you tell me the concept - just enough for me to look it up.

For example I know it is not something to do with "archive" because many people say that "archive" just sets a bit.

I noticed that after v1.32.3 a new concept has been added called add storage. Should I look in that area?

Thanks!
Brian
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Here is a list for you to check out.

1. Options -> Storage. Add Storage locations as you like. Then in each monitor in storage tab select the Storage you want to use.
https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/st ... orage.html
2. If cameras are h264 and using ffmpeg, in Monitor Storage tab turn on h264 passthrough and turn off Jpeg. Basically this will record the camera compressed stream as an MP4, saves space and IO capacity.
https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/la ... torage-tab
3. Filters - Build a filter to select what you want to move then use the "Move All Matches" option to move them to another Storage location.
https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/la ... vents.html
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
AnotherBrian

Post by AnotherBrian »

thanks bunches.
winstontj

Post by winstontj »

Is there a public script available for this?

I would like to initially write events to RAMDISK then upon event completion, move event to (slower) disk. Ubuntu and Debian flavors are ideal: Bus factor and all... I travel for work and might need something, could get hit by a bus, etc. and she's fine with Ubuntu command line but not so much CentOS. (Fedora/RedHat) Any script or example would be fine, I can go from there.

Cheers.