I Frame Gap

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
minimaLMind

I Frame Gap

Post by minimaLMind »

I've done some searching and I cannot find any explanation of what an "I Frame" is and what the "I Frame Gap" setting does. Is there a good explanation somewhere of what this is?

Thank you
net2chris

Re: I Frame Gap

Post by net2chris »

I wonder if you're talking about the interframe gap of ethernet. If so, a google search will provide all the gory details but essentially it's the gap between ethernet frames and some devices allow you to modify the number of bits so as to get a bit more ethernet frames through a switch. You should only consider modifying it if you have throughput issues because doing so one one switch will require matching it on the other end of the link and in actuality you'll get very little if any perceptible difference. Is this what you were asking about?
SteveGilvarry

Re: I Frame Gap

Post by SteveGilvarry »

I Frame is key frame in the video, basically every so many frames in the compressed stream you get a full frame image, and all the frames between are based on changes to the key frame. Really only lowers bandwidth required for stream and may increase artefacts due to compression.
http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/ ... tml?page=4
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)