All hail generic Chinese IP cams

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
patpend

All hail generic Chinese IP cams

Post by patpend »

I initially built out my setup with Grandstream IP cameras, mainly because they got good reviews here and on Amazon, and it was very straightforward to set them up. But it $125+ a pop the investment started to add up very quickly. Plus I prefer the darker color, and Grandstream now only makes white cameras. Recently I found some cameras on (where else) aliexpress with virtually identical specs, virtually identical aluminum housings, in the original dark color, for about a third to a quarter of the price! Video quality is almost as good as the GS cams, certainly very acceptable considering the price. The downside is they are a little quirky to set up, as you generally need to use the CMS program or something similar and fiddle around a bit more. Definitely helps to know the default IP address beforehand. But once you have them set up, so far they've been solid as a rock. Please note I have no interest in aliexpress or any other vendor, just putting this out there for those who want to build a system as inexpensively as possible.
Supert8ch

Re: All hail generic Chinese IP cams

Post by Supert8ch »

Can you provide me with some detail on this camera? I have a unit I got off Amazon and having issues with getting it to work with Zoneminder. I got the CMS working with it along with VLC can see it and view the video. I just can not figure out the settings for Zonealarm.

http://www.amazon.com/podofo%C2%AE-Mega ... B018S6K1HY