Converting exported frames to video

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
kkrofft

Converting exported frames to video

Post by kkrofft »

After a recent theft of a package left on my front porch, I needed to provide a crisp video to the local sheriff's office to be used for prosecution.

The video's created when I select Video from the event view window always results in a poor quality low resolution video no matter what format I choose. I assume this is adjustable via options passed to ffmpeg but it doesn't make sense to me to produce a downloaded video in anything but the best possible resolution by default.

When choosing "Export" I am provided with a nice set of the original jpeg frames at full resolution.
I tried various video editors and found them cumbersome and difficult to use to say the least.
After a little searching I found a fantastic freeware utility to quickly convert the frames to video in a number of formats.

The program is called Images to Video and can be picked up at http://en.cze.cz/Images-To-Video .
It allows you to remove unneeded frames prior to conversion so removing the analysis frames is a piece of cake.
It also supports recursing subdirectories an sorting on time so in the case of the porch theft it was easy to join the event of the UPS delivery and the thief picking up the parcel. (No affiliation with the creator just a satisfied user.)

Oh, and by the way, Zoneminder proved it's worth. The deputy recognized the thief from the event videos and recovered the package, a birthday gift for my daughter in less than 3 hours from the time of the theft. The deputy said I had given him the easiest theft case he had ever had. And they didn't need the package as evidence as when confronted by the video, the thief confessed. They have the video, the confession and photos of the package in the thief's trash. (seems that clothes for my daughter weren't his style.) :-)
yurys

Re: Converting exported frames to video

Post by yurys »

Good solution, thanks!