View ZM on TV (non IP)

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
YDA

View ZM on TV (non IP)

Post by YDA »

I've got a question.

I was wondering if (and how) it is possible to view a ZM installation on a regular TV (so not a "smart"-TV with internet access)?

Ofcourse I can access ZM on my computers, but we haven't got one in the living-room and we would like to watch the camera's on our TV.
I thought about solutions like a Raspberry Pi or something like that, is there anyone with personal experience with this solution? It needs to be able to view at least streams from 4 ip-camera's at 640x480.
Or are there other (cheap) solutions?

Thanks in advance
theforce

Re: View ZM on TV (non IP)

Post by theforce »

There are several ways to do it.

This is how I would do it.

You need a computer. Linux or windows
If you have an extra hdmi port in the tv you will need an video card in the pc that can output hdmi
If you have an extra s-video/composit/component on the tv you will need a vga to whatever converter.
If all you have is an antenna input on your tv you will need a vga to antenna converter. Channel 3 or 4 must be available. You will also need a signal combiner if you use your antenna input for other channels.

I'm sure a Raspberry Pi would work as long as you dont need a signal converter.

You would use the computer to access your zoneminder server and view in montage mode. Or create your own webpage that displays the cameras directly without connection to the zoneminder server.
linuxsense

Re: View ZM on TV (non IP)

Post by linuxsense »

I have done this in the past but I don't have much need for it these days. This is what I did though:

I had 4 cams that were the 'important' ones so I ran them into a quad processor (a real nice Robot professional quality one) that had pass-through capability. The cams connected to the quad and the pass-through for each port went to the capture card on the zoneminder server. This let me run a LCD directly off the quad for a real time display that ran independently of zoneminder. To get the quad image onto the TVs in the house I used one of the video out ports on the quad and ran it into a RF modulator. The modulators output was coax that I connected to the multiswitch for our DirecTV system that was intended to let you hook up an antenna for local chans and such. On the TV side I used a satellite diplexer (sounds expensive..they are cheap) to separate the analog signal from the coax that feeds the DirecTV tuner. One output from the diplexer went to the sat tuner, the other connected to the TV and provided the quad view of the cameras on channel 3. I ran that setup for years and it worked great, I just cant use it now due to my IP cams, but we have enough tablets and phones here so we just use IP Cam Viewer on iOS and Android to view the live feeds. I still have the hardware to do this, hit me up if you are interested in it.