Zoneminder in a cluster

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
hansie

Zoneminder in a cluster

Post by hansie »

Hi,

I have been successful in creating a crazy setup for my to-be Zoneminder environment... :mrgreen:
Well, to be more exact, knew about ZM for a long time, but decided now to install it on an existing infrastructure which may not be exactly suitable.

The situation is as follows :
I have a cluster made up of Server A (which is the faster one), and server B (which is slower, but more robust. A real server).
Server A is the active one in the cluster, B is the standby node.
Server A is the node where MySQL and Apache are running, so it would be wise to install ZM on this node as well. Server B, however, is situated in a place in my home where the cameras can be easily connected to the DVR card which (for that reason) is installed in server B.
Now I have a problem, and I'm not to sure what to do next.

I can try to get ZM running on server B, and use mod_proxy to go from the running Apache instance on server A to ZM on server B. This poses the problem on how to get the ZM to work with a remote MySQL DB.
I believe this is possible, but will I be able to see live pictures as well ?

Second solution could be to have ZM running on server A as well, but then I would have to be able to read the /dev/videoX files from server B over the network. I have seen some posts about this on the internet, but nothing I could understand...

So, my two questions are :
Does solution 1 work for live streaming as well ?
Is it possible to remote read the /dev/videoX 's from within ZM ?

I know my setup is probably not the smartest one, but I'm more or less bound to physical restrictions on where to place the servers.
Hope someone can help out a little.

Thanks,
Hans

Last bumped by hansie on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:23 pm.