Remote Event Storage

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
canut

Remote Event Storage

Post by canut »

Hi,

This doesn't really fit in any of the other categories, so I dropped it here. Please feel free to point me to a more appropriate forum.

I am doing some tweaking and testing on a local box right now but would like to mocord to a remote storage location eventually. 'Remote' as in 'off-premises'; preferably some cloud storage solution with NFS (if such a beast even exists). As it stands right now, I am looking at roughly 1.5 - 2.0 Mb/s of MJPEG frames over a dual T1. Has anyone ever tried to implement a similar solution? If yes, what's your experience in terms of throughput, latency, and reliability?

Any pointers, insights, sanity checks greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mike
UhS7b3

Re: Remote Event Storage

Post by UhS7b3 »

Mike,
Did you get a response to this question?

I'm thinking about something similar. I don't want anything stored on the local machine(unless it is a buffer for frames waiting to be uploaded). I want everything uploaded to a remote storage location (Amazon EC2?). It seems the video capture and filtering should occur on the local machine. The files with captured events should be stored on the remote machine. The web interface to review events should be running on the remote machine. The web interface to control the cameras and change system settings should be running on the local machine.
I have trouble understanding the use of local storage. If there was a security breach stealing the computer or smashing the hard drives seems a little too easy. If a break-in means you lose the video of the event, it would be cheaper to simply put up fake video cameras.

Cheers.
canut

Post by canut »

Well, I haven't put much thought into this lately as I'm still waiting for my bandwidth upgrade. My reasoning follows pretty much along the lines you laid out in your posting. Apart from theft and/or vandalism, I'm looking at a somewhat volatile environment that, as a worst-case scenario, will leave me with total equipment loss. One of the third-party providers I'm working with offers a distributed storage solution based on Ceph (can't post URL here), with a POSIX-compliant file system layer on top. According to their tech support, I will be able to NFS-mount zoneminder's 'events' directory against their service. Throw in a 'decoupled' (ie, remote) zoneminder DB, and I should have a decent restore point if things go south -- provided my upstream doesn't get chewed up in the process, of course :)

Apologies for not being more helpful at this point, but I'm still waiting for Verizon to play ball. Please do keep us posted if you find out more.

Bests, Mike
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

UhS7b3 wrote:Mike,
If there was a security breach stealing the computer or smashing the hard drives seems a little too easy. If a break-in means you lose the video of the event, it would be cheaper to simply put up fake video cameras.

Cheers.
Have you considered using the FTP upload feature already in ZM? That lets you have everything locally, and also copy new events to the remote FTP automatically. I just set it up today on mine and the file is uploaded about 60 seconds after the motion ends. I would like for it to be closer to 5-10 seconds though.
Sigge

Post by Sigge »

I too would like to have the events replicated off site then viewed with ZM interface at that site.

Can this be done with database replication? How to set up ZM interface?

FTP just uploads the video, right?