School me on camera wiring, please.

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
me2

School me on camera wiring, please.

Post by me2 »

I want to install a number of (wireless IP?) cameras around our property.

We live in a large home. We've had security problems. Our neighbor will allow us to wire a few cameras up for him as well.

I want to go with wireless IP cameras, probably FOSCOMs.

I would like to put cameras on the underside of the roof overhang of our house and garage and maybe on our fence.

How do I wire power to these devices ? Our house is 2 story stucco with only 1 outside 120VAC plug in. It has zero pre installed wiring for security devices. The roof is about 20 feet off the ground.

Should I run power to the attic and then feed it out ?

Should I drill holes in the interior walls out to the exterior ?

How do I run power to the camera on the fence ?

How much attention should I pay to vandals stealing the cameras if they are accessable ?

Thanks !
aknetman

Re: School me on camera wiring, please.

Post by aknetman »

I am looking at using POE Power Over Ethernet. POE devices work with the standard 48V DC supplied by POE injectors. Looks like you can easily do this with a foscam without built-in POE capabilities. You can find POE splitters that will take the standard 48v and reduce it down to 5, 7, 12 volts etc at the camera end. I will have a 4 port POE "Injector" switch (48v) uplinked to the network to connect the POE cams.
I think if you have a "POE capable" camera, it is set for the standard 48volt POE, and you will not require the "POE splitter" at the camera end.
Running POE 48v requires (I think) cat6 cable -something to check before I pull wire.