Input Wanted: ZoneMinder to drive a Finish Line Camera

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
jcarius

Input Wanted: ZoneMinder to drive a Finish Line Camera

Post by jcarius »

I have a application that I'm considering ZoneMinder for ... any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have an organization that runs off-road ralley type events, with checkpoints and a finish line where results are manually logged. We would like to suppliment this with video to allow the folks manning the checkpoints to be able to confirm that they indeed did see car number xxx, as well as for post race review.

A vehicle could be traveling up to 100 mph at the camera location.

Is there some combination of camera/ZoneMinder that can reliably
- note that a car has entered the area of interest
- take a reasonable number of images of the car as it travels through the area
- reset and wait for the next 'event'

What I'm mainly worried about is the delay between triggering the camera and the first captured frame, as well as the number of relevant images that can be captured during the cars presence - 100 mph is 146 feet per second ....

Other considerations:

- reliable
- reasonably rugged (outdoors, dusty)
- cost (we are an all volunteer organization)

As a long time Linux/Unix guy, I'd really like a lunix solution

Thanks for any help.

Jim Carius
kingofkya

Re: Input Wanted: ZoneMinder to drive a Finish Line Camera

Post by kingofkya »

If the camera is setup and car see the number it should not be a problem. As ZM also records warm up frames aka pre-event. So a delay would not be a real issuse.

Also the notes field would be very effective for this as you could put something in there like car 123. Then search DB with filter later for that to verify. (If there is a conflict) Rather than go though every event.

As far as the camera possibly try something a few camcorders to see what works best. As I do not know of a camera that will work from any experiences. Also position camera up above the finish line so you have a better chance of getting the number Ex: {C} is the camera. So its pointing almost head on with the car.

Code: Select all

|------{c}-------|
|                    |
|      0==0      |