Viewing ZM beyond a NATted LAN (using IPv6)

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
VF

Viewing ZM beyond a NATted LAN (using IPv6)

Post by VF »

Some providers (in Italy Fastweb, for example) are used to NAT the local assigned IP, so it would be impossible the use of DDNS services.
A way to resolve this problem is the use of a IPv6 tunnel.

1)Register and obtain a free static IPv6 address (www.go6.net f.e.)
2)On the ZM server side install an IPv6 tunnel broker client,
that will use your static IPv6 address
3)On the client machine install an IPv6 tunnel broker client and connect anonymously to the IPv6 service provider (or using another registered static IPv6 address)

This way you'll be able to view your remote ZM server even if on a NATTED lan!

I still have a problem: I'm able to view my remote server only using Chrome and Opera, not using IE and Firefox (this problem only with IPv6 addresses).

Someone could give me an hint??

Thanks!
MJN

Post by MJN »

I'm not sure why you're seeing a problem with IE/Firefox, although what I was posting for is that I'm not sure I see why you even had a problem in the first place with your IPv4 NAT?

If your IPv6 tunnel endpoint can be set to whatever your current public IPv4 address is, then why can't DDNS be used to configure the DNS for IPv4? Or is it that you are behind a double-layer NAT? :?

Mathew
VF

Post by VF »

The problem with IPv4 is because I'm natted by the provider. Most users use the same public shared IP. So a tunnel broker for Ipv6 is suitable, because they offer you a public IPv6 address.

The problems with my browser still are unknown.
MJN

Post by MJN »

VF wrote:The problem with IPv4 is because I'm natted by the provider. Most users use the same public shared IP. So a tunnel broker for Ipv6 is suitable, because they offer you a public IPv6 address.
Oh right, so your provider only gives you a private IPv4 address?
The problems with my browser still are unknown.
Can your browser view other IPv6 sites? Or is it just your ZM site that you're having problems with? Are there any errors/symptoms?

If you want to share the address I can try it from here (also using Firefox).

Mathew
VF

Post by VF »

MJN wrote:
VF wrote:Oh right, so your provider only gives you a private IPv4 address?.
Yes!
Can your browser view other IPv6 sites? Or is it just your ZM site that you're having problems with? Are there any errors/symptoms?

If you want to share the address I can try it from here (also using Firefox).
I have problems with all the ipv6 address in firefox/IE ... that's strange! in Opera they work well.

This a test purpose machine not online 24/7.....only in some moments, so you where not able to see it.

Try this : ipv6.google.com -> 2001:4860:0:1001::68
In firefox/IE I'm not able to see it...I've tried

http://[2001:4860:0:1001::68]
[2001:4860:0:1001::68]
MJN

Post by MJN »

The IPv6 address you've given is one of Google's. You won't be able to reach it directly via HTTP due to the lack of a HOST-header. Stick to using http://ipv6.google.com.

If you can't reach that then you've got client issues not related to ZoneMinder.

Mathew
VF

Post by VF »

No..I'm connected to the ipv6 backbone, so for example I'm able to see
the main page of google on "http://ipv6.google.com" in Opera and in Chrome.

But putting the same address in Firefox 3.0 or in IE 7 it doens't works
:?
MJN

Post by MJN »

I understand. What I'm saying is that you have a client problem - not one with ZoneMinder - hence you'd be better off posting a query in one of the client-specific forums.

Mathew
VF

Post by VF »

Sure I'll try :) Thanks!