Tutorial for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) desktop

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
pibri

Post by pibri »

bai...Tx for the reply. No luck yet but i will soldier on.

Of note I too have noticed that the routine posted for Jaunty doesnt work for Karmic. When I reboot and try to get zoneminder up on ff with the http://localhost command it doesnt work. I have tried this twice with two different karmic systems with the same result. Any body got work around?
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

There is a 4 year old thread ( I replied to it, not realising it's age)

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 7257#57257

It describes the card perfectly according to the screen dumps.

Is there any way that this info can help me getting 4 screens with something other than black?
Last edited by Fitch on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pibri

Post by pibri »

I'm still not getting any joy with this webcam. I have moved back to Jaunty and I am now back to where I started...trying to install a new monitor.

I am a bit lost as to what info to give zoneminder...the web cam is /dev/video0, and on cheese the screen is 352 by 288. What else does zoneminder need?
pibri

Post by pibri »

Well i am still struggling...although i have had some success.

I have got the location (/dev/video0) to turn orange for a while (about 5mins) twice. How ever when i tried to view the camera output i got the dreaded black screen. The location then went red again.

Any ideas any body?
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

I eventually managed to get it working perfectly, but it was a case of totally wiping and starting again.

Using Synaptic, I removed Apache2, MySql, MySql server, MMySql core and zoneminder. It's a total removal including the config files.

Then using Synaptic again, I installed Zoneminder 1.23. That way, I did not have to compile and configure as the package manager did everything (correctly)

Zoneminder is absolutely brilliant, far superior to the Windows garbage I had before. It's well worth the hassle.
pibri

Post by pibri »

Fitch,

Tx for the reply and advice, much appreciated.

I'll post my results later.
dhcpy

Post by dhcpy »

Fitch wrote:I eventually managed to get it working perfectly, but it was a case of totally wiping and starting again.

Using Synaptic, I removed Apache2, MySql, MySql server, MMySql core and zoneminder. It's a total removal including the config files.

Then using Synaptic again, I installed Zoneminder 1.23. That way, I did not have to compile and configure as the package manager did everything (correctly)

Zoneminder is absolutely brilliant, far superior to the Windows garbage I had before. It's well worth the hassle.
Hi Fitch!
Could you help me a little with this?
I also have a generic card like you, that gets detected like the boktree878..
I can see the images on XAWTV but get blackscreens on ZM.

how did you manage to get it to work?
-is it on ubuntu 9.10 or did you fallback to 9.04?
-how do I get synaptic to completely remove those packages with config files included? Or I have to manually erase the config files later?
-which exact version did you install? there are four version of 1.23.x, with x varying from 0 to 3
-How do I get synaptic to install the version you want? I think it always installs the latest, which will be 1.24.2
-I didn't quite understand what exactly does the 1.23 version autoconfigure that the 1.24 version does not...

I will very appreciate your help,
I'm glad you get it to work... those windows programs for these capture cards really suck :D
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Originally under Jaunty 9.04 but managed to get the little blighter to work on Karmic after a fight..

Under System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager,
click on the box for Apache2 and go down to "Mark for complete removal" This is what "allegedly" removes the config files as well.

Go further down the list and do the same for MySql, MySql server, MySql core and Zoneminder.

Then close your eyes, put your fingers in your ears and click on "Apply" presumably with your elbow as your fingers are otherwise engaged.

You are absolutely right! when I used Synaptic, it was 1.23.1 that loaded, now it's 1.24.thingy!

When that's all finished, and you've cleared the smoke from the computer, restart it, use Synaptic (as above) and get it to install libdirac (this is because it's now ZM1.24.thingy).
After that, use the manager again to install Zoneminder.

As it's doing it's thing, it should tell you that it's installing:
Apache2
Apache2-mpm-prefork
libapache--mod-php5
mysql-server
mysql-server-core
php5
php5-mysql
zoneminder....

with any luck.

This new version is a little bit of a b*gg*r to set up
On each camera ('cos you have to set everything up from scratch!)
for each source (camera), in the general tab set the max fps and alarm max fps to 5 frames per sec.
Set the function to modetect for green -hopefully or monitor for orange.

In the Source tab:
Device path: /dev/video0.... as usual
Capture method: Video for Linux 2
Device channel: 0 (for the first one, 1 for the second camera etc)
Device format: I use "PAL I" 'cos I'm in Blighty
Capture Pallette: RGB565 worked best for me
Width 320
Height 240

On the right hand side of the main console click "Options > Config"
Half way down untick VL4_MULTI_BUFFER as it gives some wierd video if you don't

On the left of the main console it should say 4 monitors (if you've set 4 up). Click on it and click on "NEW"
call the group whatever you want and add the cameras to that group. Remember to select that group after saving, and apply - this should get the pictures to come up on the events window (a bug).

Give that a go

This is assuming that etc/modprobe.d/bttv.conf is still there - it should be -even after a complete uninstall
If not, just make a new one with the following text: (this is for the card in question)

options bttv gbuffers=32 card=77 tuner=4 radio=0 coring=1 full_luma_range=1 chroma_agc=1 combfilter=1 autoload=0 triton1=0 vsfx=0
which is pasted straight out of the instructions at: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _interface

As for the question about the configuration, that's when you have to compile zoneminder e.g. downloading zoneminder 1.23.1 .deb package and use the ./configure command:

The original instructions were:
./configure --with-webdir=/var/www/zm --with-cgidir=/usr/lib/cgi-bin --with-webuser=www-data --with-webgroup=www-data

which I think was wrong..
My own idea would be :
./configure --with-webdir=/usr/share/zoneminder --with-cgidir=/usr/lib/cgi-bin --with-webuser=www-data --with-webgroup=www-data

But thankfully you don't have to do that if you use Synaptic...
dhcpy

Post by dhcpy »

Thank you very much Finch...
will try this tomorrow to see what happens

About this part
Fitch wrote: options bttv gbuffers=32 card=77 tuner=4 radio=0 core=1 full_luma_range=1 chroma_agc=1 comb filter=1 autoload=0 triton1=0 vsfx=0
which is posted straight out of the instructions at: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _interface
I had a little trouble with that line, because I have 2 capture cards. Same pico2000 generic 4 composite in.
I tried

Code: Select all

options bttv gbuffers=32 card=77,77 tuner=4,4 radio=0,0 core=1,1 full_luma_range=1,1 chroma_agc=1,1 comb filter=1,1 autoload=0,0 triton1=0,0 vsfx=0,0
but that didn't worth. It didn't recognise the cards. No /dev/video0 not /dev/video1 were created.
Then I just leave it at

card=77,77 tuner=4,4 radio=0,0 triton1=0 vsfx=0 autoload=0 
and got the cards running..
Is there a better way to make that configurations for a 2 cards array?

Ohh, and I wanted to ask you... there are some peole on the forums that say that they have the same problem and that they managed to work around it by giving full permits to /dev/video0, like

sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0
They say that even if you get the cards to work, is just a zoneminder/apache/access permisions thing that keeps the images from showing up on zoneminder...
I mean... there just has to be an explanation!... but, then again, I really just want to get the thing working! :lol:

You did not use that command, did you?
I'm going strictly your method.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

I remember using Chmod 777, don't remember it doing anything useful - but it can't harm it to try.

I also remember someone telling me:

on terminal do

su -
<enter root's password>
visudo
at the end of file add
apache2 ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

Again, it's worth a try. I've left it in as I believe Apache2 was the problem.
When it's being made, stuff goes into its config that is impossible to find and therefore remove.
The answer is to get rid of the lot and start again.

In the heady days, when I was a complete newbie to Linux, let alone Zoneminder (just under 4 weeks ago - My! how time flies!)
I loaded up Jaunty and then did the make compile thing to get up Zoneminder 1.23.1.

In the 2 weeks that ensued I had no hope of getting it to work, Somebody in the Ubuntu forums said dump the lot and start again.
By this time Zoneminder 1.23. was actually showing on the Synaptic Package Manager, so I bit the bullet, did as he said, got rid of Apache, Mysql,etc, as said previously (but it must be complete removal), got synaptic to download and install Zoneminder 1.23, and hey presto it worked.

Of course, things have changed, i.e Zoneminder 1.24 is now downloaded, hence that extra program you have to download first (see previous).

Being somewhat exuberant and very cocky, I went for Karmick after about 4 days of perfection, only to get Karmick kicking out a lot of what Zoneminder needed as "obsolete", so I had to use Synaptic again to re-install Zoneminder - which is when I found out they had changed it to 1.24. so, of course it didn't work.

Back to square 1. Remove everything including config files (as above), see a post about libdirac (above) therefore install libdirac-dev and libdirac0c2a first, then install ZM1.24 (blah) fart about as above
Done, you have been!. :D

Now if you have bttv.conf working, great! leave it. It's one of the things that isn't deleted. I'm afraid I don't know of any other way, sorry! Ask me in another week's time when I become a guru.... :roll:

(Yes it has only been 4 weeks)
Last edited by Fitch on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nagaraj

great tutorial, still not able to get things working

Post by nagaraj »

its a really great tutorial. i was strugling earlier but managed to install and follow the tutorial without problems. everything went well till the end and both 'function and source' came in orange but when i started the monitors they would stay blank ( only black screens would appear). suspecting a problem with the card i started a thread to find out about the card. http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 6310#56310
havent been able to get things working since then. will be thankful if anybody can detect the problem and help me on this.
thanks in advance.
pibri

Re: great tutorial, still not able to get things working

Post by pibri »

nagaraj wrote:its a really great tutorial. i was strugling earlier but managed to install and follow the tutorial without problems. everything went well till the end and both 'function and source' came in orange but when i started the monitors they would stay blank ( only black screens would appear). suspecting a problem with the card i started a thread to find out about the card. http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 6310#56310
havent been able to get things working since then. will be thankful if anybody can detect the problem and help me on this.
thanks in advance.
I now have the same problem....having finally got everything in orange the screens are blank. Of note it states that they are idle. Does any one have any advice?
sirugh

Post by sirugh »

I followed your walkthrough, except that I need to add a network camera to zoneminder.

The camera is an Axis 207, and I'm using the following format:

Source Type: Remote
Function: Monitor
Remote Host Name: (user):(password)@192.168.1.20
Remote Host Port: 80
Remote Host Path: /axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=640x480
Capture Width: 640
Capture Height: 480

Did I do this right? On ZMLarch, the above setup worked just fine so I'm not sure whats wrong. Also, in ZM Console, the Source was orange, but no video would display, just the broken image thingy, and then I tried to change the shared memory in systl.conf, and the Source changed to red and now I cannot get it to change back. Heeelp!
draude

Re: Tutorial for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) desktop

Post by draude »

bai wrote:i found out how to get the 848 card & usb cam going
seems one of the items i left out was the solution

in the first install i left off the security & the bit about controllable cameras as i wanted to get a picture first, turns out that chmod 4755 /usr/bin/zmfix fixes the issue
though remember the axis 2120 work fine all the time once i work out to set Remote Host Path to /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=&showlength=1&resolution=704x576, this i got by log on from web & view source of page. if that is useful to any one else.

still have minor issue with the usb cam shifting around after a cold boot, one of below is the usb, the rest are for the 848 card that is PCI-E 8 * 848 type card from huperlab, also tried the pico2000 & rapidos dvs8500a cards, they work fine ( pci with 4 input on one 848 ) i.e it will come up as different device numbers, usualy 0 or 1 though
$ ls /dev/video*
/dev/video0 /dev/video2 /dev/video4 /dev/video6 /dev/video8
/dev/video1 /dev/video3 /dev/video5 /dev/video7

one trick to get the 8 chip card going is to add a bit more to the bttv
options bttv gbuffers=32 card=102,102,102,102,102,102,102,102 tuner=0 radio=0 coring=1 full_luma_range=1 chroma_agc=1 pll=1 combfilter=1 autoload=0 triton1=0 vsfx=0
though i do get an odd result if i check it is setting the first chip as a grandtec multi cap, but all the others as ivc-200, though i use all same number ( i think several numbers would work ), as it works it is not an issue for me at this time. i also set the pal mode "pll=1"

finally i got all that going & decided to give the old ptz camera a spin, the steps had allready also enabled access to the serial port so...

a sony evi-d31 now plugged in & set for Visca protocol, it would not do much, so i had a look at the file visca.pm which is the sample protocol provided with zoneminder, but it had a few issues

if anyone wants to use it then need to edit a bit look for " sub moveConUp " & a lot others with similar descriptions, first i spotted one missing the e at the end of move, then i notice others missing the Con after move, so i insert & save & was improved ( ie it now moved when the control buttons clicked with mouse ) but still needed to tweak the numbers in the control tab by editing the protocol to get something useful, it now steps or zooms in predictable amounts in stead of ful extremes at each click.
errors were found on moveConleft, moveConupleft, moveConupright, moveCondownleft, moveCondownright & zoomConWide these are the fixed words if any one want to use
did not bother changing others as they seem to work, though the ones with "Rel" in them seem to do nothing either way so suggest leave them as is.
there is a number of other resource for the Visca protocol, even a libvisca site, but beyond my current skills if someone else wants to try
p.s. also moved up to v1.24.1 thanks to peter howard
ftp://ftp.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... ntu/jaunty but had to use your guide & tweaks ( zmfix & define the web address ) plus what i found on the ptz to make it all come together
still think it is the best written tutorial i have seen for linux stuff & i even bought a number of books which were limited in their usefulness, problem is the authors are usually too close to their subject.
writing this in a hurry so sorry about quality. thanks for the offer, hope what i have written helps you / others.

Bai,

i'm having problems getting my Sony Evi D31 working. I get images but i can't control the camera.

I think i modified Visca.pm the way you described, but still no control.
I have a few questions:

How do i tell zoneminder which com port to use ?
Must i install libvisca?
Which entries must set in the monitor control tab?
geolinux

Re: Tutorial for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) desktop

Post by geolinux »

Hi I found this and tried it with my spri linux , acka ubunto 9.04 linux setup but ran into a problem. Once I tried to get the new files in the upgrader , graphical I was unable to find any upgrade files . I think 9.04 is so old they are not common any more .

How can I load zonminder 1.25 onto my spri 9.04 ubunto ?

i'll take any hint :?

ok I did find this "old" repository of jaunty stuff , maybe its in here

LINK IS RESTRICTED CAUSE IT MAY BURN DOWNSERVER

normal start of an link old-releases,ubuntu,com forward slash here releases followed by a final jaunty ride in the park :wink:

know if zonminder is in there I can bake my alpha zoneminder system

tumbble weed roles by ,---- the wind whistles, -----a lone praire wolf howwwllls in the background ....