Desktop versus Server

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
Snozz

Desktop versus Server

Post by Snozz »

Does zoneminder have a GUI? Such that I'd have a reason to instal Ubuntu desktop?

Just trying to figure out whether I should install the desktop or server edition of Ubuntu. If there's no reason to have the desktop edition I'd rather just install the server edition for the sake of saving resources.
cordel

Post by cordel »

No X GUI, Install the server, You'll need the resources. ;)
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

The server edition is the ideal way to go. However, if you're a Linux newbie, I'd recommend the GUI enabled desktop version. Unless you're experienced with the command line, a lack of a GUI will make things harder for you starting out.

Also, it depends on whether this is for production or for your own tinkering. For production, obviously it should be a well configured server setup. But for tinkering/learning of both ZM AND Linux, get the desktop version.
Snozz

Post by Snozz »

Thanks.

I had a successful install with apt-get.

Are these the steps I should be following?
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... rom_a_.deb

I'm skipping the stuff related to setting up the camera because I need to get a BNC to RCA connector tomorrow at radio shack.

I'm just a few days away from "Ghetto Watch 1.0", then I can work late with peace of mind and not worry about coming home to a kicked in door.
Snozz

Post by Snozz »

How would you recommend doing the test with xawtv to get my camera setup?

Should I install X server support on my server box and SSH in to run xawtv?
Snozz

Post by Snozz »

Just to give that some more context. I have gotten to the point where I can see the zoneminder console through a web browser.

My camera is plugged into my capture card now.

I'm just not sure if there are steps I need to perform for installing drivers for my capture card or getting the OS to recognize the camera or card. So I figured the best step towards that was to go ahead and test it with xawtv.

Edit: Nevermind, I just used the Bluecherry liveCD to test the camera.
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

FWIW...

I use NX (nomachine.com) to connect to all of my remote Linux servers (all Ubuntu of one version or another) that run ZM so I install X with either gnome or xfce and just configure the server to not run gdm on boot. If you do it that way you have your X windows when you need it without the overhead of running gdm..even though gdm does not require much to sit idle. I also install the 'server' kernel. Works well for me, but it does require a bit more hdd space...but if you are running ZM you should have 'plenty' of hdd space anyway :) I am pretty much a shell only type of guy for all of my servers but its nice to have the option of running X since it can come in handy for a few different tools.
xyz

2B or !2B

Post by xyz »

It depends what your experience is as sysadm and user. It also depends how familiar you are with actual file locations within ZM.

My fist ZM installation was with X - it was convenient to test the cameras with xawtv...

My second installation is without the X. It occurs that one actually can test cameras by other means - grab pictures, save mjpg feeds into files (wget http:/ip:8080/?action=stream) etc. But this case you probably need a good instrumental machine nearby, equipped with all necessary graphical/multimedia tools. I prefer transporting files inter platforms via ssh/scp (Linux or Putty) but you may prefer Samba or WWWserver.

Generally speaking, if ZM machine is the only one you have to rely on (limited IP zone, distant access) then do NOT omit X or you will be stucked with troubleshooting. On other hand, a serious Linux admin probably still can leave X out of installation because he has other possibilities for troubleshooting.