Cameras in the UK

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
uxbod

Cameras in the UK

Post by uxbod »

Hi,

i am moving to a new house soon and wish to set up a camera system using ZoneMinder. I have been looking at the wireless ones on http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/ and was wondering whether they work or not with the software? I like the Axis ones but they dont seem to do any network based IP ones that work at night and can be used outside.

TIA
uxbod

Post by uxbod »

Okay no replies :) had a slight change of idea. I want to monitor my garage and rear of house and have thought about putting a wireless bridge in the garage. That way I can use wired cameras which will reduce the cost.

Would anybody care to recommend some good outdoor cameras that will work at night aswell?

TIA
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Axis have a new IP camera that is day/night compatible. I forget the model number but it's not cheap! I'm going up to IFSEC tomorrow and plan to keep a look out for a cheaper version of this kind of thing.

As far as wired cameras go, you have a much better chance. Most seem to be pretty good, ones with Sony sensors tend to be the best in my experience but the majority of them are quite acceptable. One thing to look out for is the night range you want. The little ones really don't illuminate out very far so for any kind of area go for a 15m range one. Feel free to click on the adverts for prices (:D) as you should be able to get smaller IR cameras for £60-70 and the 15m ones for around £120 or less.

Phil
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

I use outdoor cameras with built in IR illumination myself and theywork well . The only problem with them is that rain and flies passing close to the lens appear as bright streaks which can trigger events. For your garage, you might consider having a standard halogen security light fitted a few feet to the side of a standard IR sensitive camera.

A halogen floodlight bulb emits about 5-7% or it's energy in the visible range and 35-40% in the near infrared according to Sams laser faq which is more than you can easily generate with diodes :)

J