Be aware, TrenNET TV-IP512P appears to have a Hue problem

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
BlankMan

Be aware, TrenNET TV-IP512P appears to have a Hue problem

Post by BlankMan »

Take a look at these two images. One is from a TrendNET TV-IP512P camera and the other is from a ACTi ACM-3601 camera, both are network cameras both delivering MPEG4 at 30fps. Both pictures are of the same area of my backyard. Note the purple grass in the picture from the TrendNET camera as opposed to the green grass in the picture from the ACTi camera. I would say the TrendNET has a problem with Hue and there is no adjustment for Hue on the camera. There is an adjustment for Saturation but that doesn't help. And its granularity is in 25% steps, also not real helpful. I would like this Hue problem corrected and have contacted TrendNET regarding this so hopefully then can and will address this. I will update this with any outcome. Otherwise the camera is somewhat of a disappointment IMO.

TrendNET TV-IP512P
ACTi ACM-3601
BlankMan

Post by BlankMan »

This was TrendNEt's first reply:

Dear Customer,

The TV-IP 512 camera has a IR sensor built into the camera allowing you use the camera with IR lighting. This however, does change the coloration of the image.

I then sent them images from other IR cameras that depict colors correctly, that was 5 days ago, haven't heard from them since.

Am contemplating returning the camera for a refund.
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

BlankMan wrote:This was TrendNEt's first reply:

Dear Customer,

The TV-IP 512 camera has a IR sensor built into the camera allowing you use the camera with IR lighting. This however, does change the coloration of the image.

I then sent them images from other IR cameras that depict colors correctly, that was 5 days ago, haven't heard from them since.

The other IR cameras you have probably have an movable IR filter that the camera moves itself.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
BlankMan

Post by BlankMan »

Possible I guess, but I don't remember seeing that in the specs, I'm going to check into that though just to see if that's it.

One is a SmartHome 7546B and the other is a SECO-LARM Enforcer EV-2706-N3WQ.

That SmartHome is producing color pictures even at night lately, didn't during winter, you can see it here live:

http://www.curtronics.com/Weather/CurOutdoorsView.html

KeithB

Post by KeithB »

The wrong hue in the picture from the TrendNet camera is definately caused by it being sensitive to IR light during the day. The Acti has an IR cut filter to stop this annoying effect.
BlankMan

Post by BlankMan »

I don't think that ACTi is an IR camera though, it goes black at night with plenty of IR light around.
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

For day / night function you should look for "true day night" or "switching IR filter", and Acti is a much nicer brand than TrendNet from what I've read. This TrendNet's colours seem so inaccurate that you'd have difficulty being sure of a suspects clothes color.
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

BlankMan wrote:I don't think that ACTi is an IR camera though, it goes black at night with plenty of IR light around.
The ACM-3601 is not an IR camera
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
reaton

Post by reaton »

Dear Customer,

Have you received a reply from Trendnet yet? I'm thinking about getting a IP512 but I hope the image is a lot better.
BlankMan

Post by BlankMan »

reaton wrote:

Dear Customer,

Have you received a reply from Trendnet yet? I'm thinking about getting a IP512 but I hope the image is a lot better.
Yep, it is what it is and I'm stuck with purple grass. Still considering returning it. This was their last reply after I asked again if anything can be done to improve it.

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately as i stated the sensor in this camera does cause this issue that are having with the camera and there is no resolution or fix for it as it is standard normal operation.

Want to buy it before I return it? $139 plus shipping. All documentation and OB included.
Inaba

Post by Inaba »

That is definitely the IR sensitivity. Before you return it, though...

I've modified my Trendnet cameras to be IR sensitive by removing the IR filter. This has the effect of purple grass and odd colors, exactly like you are seeing. However, the IR sensitivity is awesome without the filter. It's better than many, many other IR camera's I've seen and used. Even a little IR LED pen light will light up an entire area. A small IR flood will make everything visible for over 30 feet with the filter off.

So... sacrificing color for exceptional IR sensitivity was a good trade off in my book, but that may not be for you.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

BTW, I have multiple Y-Cam Black cameras, also IR. Some exhibit the "purple grass and pink trees" behavior, some don't. Both type work fine at night. My guess is some versions of this camera have adjustment, and newer boxes even come with a warning sticker on the inner box saying "Colours may not be accurate because of the IR" so people have been complaining

Guiding rule to learn from this;

If colour is important to you, don't use an IR camera.
BlankMan

Post by BlankMan »

Flash_ wrote: Guiding rule to learn from this;

If colour is important to you, don't use an IR camera.
Not necessarily true. That Smart Home IR camera I have (image shown above) does not have the purple grass problem.

This TrendNet was extremely bad. I did return it, even after having it a few months, and received a full refund including original shipping costs and I didn't have to pay return shipping costs either.

I just picked up a Vivotek IP7330. I appears to have purples instead of greens grass and plants but it looked to be not as bad as the TrendNet. We'll know more tomorrow. I'll deal with the 7330's purple due to packaging, it's a nice outdoor camera that needs no extra enclosure.