Trendnet TV-IP312W Working

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Hi, I'm a Zoneminder newbie. I just bought a TV-IP312W, configured it's admin interface and verified it's working via Camviewer (http://frequal.com/java/TrendnetTV-IP312W.html).

I've now installed Zoneminder on Ubuntu 10.04, and am reading through the tutorial (http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... umentation), but I'm getting stuck at "Check that your Camera Works!" section. I can't figure out how to verify and enter it into Zoneminder by using xawtv. How do I register this camera with Zoneminder?

Is this camera officially supported by Zoneminder in the stock Ubuntu package? It's not included on the hardware compatibility list at http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Trendnet.

Any help is appreciated.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Note, I followed mitch's original advice to add a monitor like:

Source Type: FFMPEG
Source Path: http://192.168.1.105/cgi/mjpg/mjpeg.cgi?.mjpeg

However, the resulting image appears to be broken. Is there some other configuration I'm missing?
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Can someone please help me? I've tried several combinations of HTTP/RTSP/MPEG/JPEG monitor configurations, but Zoneminder still shows a broken image. I've confirmed the RTSP stream works by running "vlc rtsp://192.168.1.105/mpeg4". But the same RTSP configuration in ZM does nothing.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I just installed 6 TV-IP110 cameras, the old firmware would not pick up a IP address from DNSMASQ, I had run into this problem before, and previously upgraded two tv-ip110 cams to 1.0.0.57, that worked very well they picked up their IP addresses from dnsmasq and I was able to use ffmpeg with the mjpeg stream. When I installed the last 6 cameras I went to upgrade the old firmware in order to get them to talk to dnsmasq, I found that there was a new version 1.1.0.60, I installed it and found that the mjpeg stream is now broke. I had to fall back to the old login:paswrd@ipaddress/cgi/mjpg/mjpg.cgi because something has changed in the new code and the ffmpeg format no longer works.

What I am using now is sort of klunky and at times it drops a frame, I had used it prior to the 1.0.0.57 ver and got reasonable results with the dropped frame every once in a while. I found my old upgrade (1.0.0.57) firmware so I am going to downgrade these cams to that rev and get ffmpeg going, as that works very well.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thanks. Still can't get it working. So I installed the package "motion" and it worked out of the box perfectly, using a few simple steps clearly outlined in their documentation. It seems to have a similar feature set to ZM but with a more primitive (albeit working) web interface.

I'm new to ZM, and I realize the developers are busy, so after a week of getting no help here, I actually emailed the site's main email saying I'd be willing to pay for support, and politely asked what their rates are. After a week, I've gotten no response.

If not a single person involved with this software is able to help a user to get it working, even when paid, then I can only describe this as a dead project.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Sometimes it goes like that then you will get a rain of replies. They are working on the
code, and generally it is other users that help. I have not been able to get the mpeg4
thing on the TrendNets to work, I have just fallen back on the jpeg feed, it is only 3-4 fps
but it works great. I have one here at my home that works with the stream, but it is 2
years old. I do not know what they changed in the cams because both are running the
same firmware, but something is changed in the hardware as far as I can see.

You may be needed a fast response, I wish I could tell you more, but I am sure that
someone will come up and see your questions and give you more info. There are a lot of
people on here, but there are more of them one the weekends I think.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
mrfixit33

Trendnet tv-ip312w (working) w/ ZM v1.24.2 on Ubuntu Server

Post by mrfixit33 »

Here are the "Cliff Notes" on my system and camera settings which are working for me. your results may vary.

Server: an old PIII due core box w/2g of ram
OS: Ubuntu 10.04.01 LTS server w/ all of the hacks from the KB's and Wiki's (and then some) applied for Ubuntu.
ZM: v1.24.2

Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54G set to 802.11g only

Camera: see subject line
Firmware :upgraded to 1.1.0 build 63
video settings: QVGA, Normal, 30fps
Compression: MJPEG
IP: changed from default (192.168.10.30) to 192.168.1.xxx, static
wireless: SSID<"mywireless">, infrastructure, open, WEP, HEX, 128bit

(all changes done using hardwire, it may take entering the changes and resetting the unit to factory defaults a time or two to "wake-up" the wireless on the camera. Also this should go without saying, but I will say it anyway-the wireless will not work if you have the camera connected to your network with a cable.

ZoneMinder: Again see subject line
General Tab:
Source Type: Remote
All other setting left at default
Source Tab:
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: user:pass@x.x.x.x (admin:admin is the default)
Remote Host Port: 80
Remote Host Path: cgi/mjpg/mjpg.cgi
Remote Image Color: 24bit
H&W: 320x240
All other setting on all other tabs left at default
I am sure there are more efficient ways of setting this system up (and I welcome any help with that), but it is working.

Regards
Just a mechanic who knows how to use a spreadsheet
fannny

Post by fannny »

coke wrote:I'm under the impression that CCD (maybe CMOS also) sensors have to be IR shielded to avoid picking up IR, as they do so rather well natively. Not sure if that's still the case, and if so, if the night vision cameras pull off the filter at night.
noah35 wrote:
1. No the cameras can always see IR sources even in 'day' mode.
Just wanted to ask about your answer above. If this is true, does this mean that any ordinary camera would be able to pick up IR sources? For example, would I be able to buy a cheap Logitech webcam and get that to see in the dark by using a 3rd party IR illuminator?

I'm just confused because I thought that the IP312W camera was different in that it could behave in both 'day' mode and 'night' mode, that is in the way it responds to light coming through the lens.