under $30 cameras

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
kory007

under $30 cameras

Post by kory007 »

hi,

does anyone have good experience with cheap ebay cameras that support RTSP and FPS can be set to as low as 3-5.
RTSP is supported on most of the cameras, but FPS is rarely changeable. it seems most of the cameras are designed for mobile app + Chinese cloud managed solutions and NVR support is not in focus. :(

I have tried few different models: all of these support RTSP on 15-30fps, but there is no option to change it.

anyone any recommendation?
burger

Re: under $30 cameras

Post by burger »

Better off with used name brand cameras. You can also use webcams, at that price.

Trying random cameras from east asia is a good way to have a horrible ZM experience. Poor connectivity, lack of settings management, and built as cheap as possible.

See
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Hardware_Compatibility_List
and
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Beginner_hardware
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
Grewen

Post by Grewen »

I got three dirt cheap cameras off AliExpress. Two 1080p indoor cameras that cost me €20 each (including shipping) and a third 1080p outdoor camera for €30 (including shipping)
All three are setup on zm on a raspberry pi 4 4gb and now running fine (I had an issue getting all to work simultaneously but that was resolved by increasing GPU memory on the raspberry)
I got the source using either Onvif device manager or the onvif "sniffer" in zm.
I'd link them but it appears that the store doesn't exist anymore....
Before I ordered the cameras I checked with the seller that the cameras where onvif compatible.
mikb

Post by mikb »

Grewen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 pm I got three dirt cheap cameras off AliExpress. Two 1080p indoor cameras that cost me €20 each (including shipping) and a third 1080p outdoor camera for €30 (including shipping)
All three are setup on zm on a raspberry pi 4 4gb and now running fine (I had an issue getting all to work simultaneously but that was resolved by increasing GPU memory on the raspberry)
I got the source using either Onvif device manager or the onvif "sniffer" in zm.
I'd link them but it appears that the store doesn't exist anymore....
Before I ordered the cameras I checked with the seller that the cameras where onvif compatible.
It's good that you had a good experience, but the caution posted above is for good reason.

1) "But the store doesn't exist any more" -- so hard to get more of them if you like them that much, hard to get any comeback if something goes wrong, or if nothing turns up at all :)

2) Aliexpress, not sure how you enforce any rights if they turn out to be not compatible, cheap AND nasty, or just rubbish. Consumer Rights under Chinese/Korean/Random Country law is not my area of expertise!

3) "I checked they were compatible". If you're buying, then yes. They are compatible with whatever you need. Need compatible with ISO9660? They are! Compatible with a left handed Whitworth thread? Sure! ... :)

4) Just when you find some working ones, you re-order them 3 months later and get a different innards under the same model number :(

If you're willing to take the chance, then it's up to you, just be aware what you're getting into. Either a bargain or a world of hurt.
Julie_Netvue

Post by Julie_Netvue »

It's so good preice. How about its quanlity?

Recently we also buy one indoor camera, while it cannot connect my 5G wifi. So disoppointed. :x