Error when booting live CD 1.19.5

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
mpoertner

Error when booting live CD 1.19.5

Post by mpoertner »

ERROR: Unable to mount loop filesystem,
dropping you to a limited shell.

I've tried burning a new CD, tried a different brand CD-ROM drive. Played with several different bios settings... donno what else to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt
cordel

Post by cordel »

Have you downloaded the MD5 checksum and checked to see if you got a good download?
Eklectick

Post by Eklectick »

Do you have enough ram?
256 is mandatory :-)

Are you using an old CD-Rom unit?
Try using a more recent one, perhaps not older than 3 years.

Regards!
mpoertner

Post by mpoertner »

cordel wrote:Have you downloaded the MD5 checksum and checked to see if you got a good download?
Well, I was about to check but the links for the download page don't seem to be working:

The requested URL /downloads/ZMliveCD_1.19.5.iso.md5 was not found on this server.
mpoertner

Post by mpoertner »

Eklectick wrote:Do you have enough ram?
256 is mandatory :-)

Are you using an old CD-Rom unit?
Try using a more recent one, perhaps not older than 3 years.

Regards!
Was using 256mb but just to be sure I popped in a 512mb stick and got the same error.

I've tried 3 different newer cdrom drives too - same problem.

Thanks,
Matt
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

You could try to boot the CD on another machine to confirm that the disk is good. It will neither install anything nor mount the hard disk unless you tell it, so it pretty safe to try on any machine.

If the disk checks out please try the bootcode 'noscsi' if you haven't already. This is not as commonly a problem as in previous versions, but the errors that result from an unstable (on a particular machine) scsi module show up in the most obscure ways.

If none of this helps, and you don't see any error messages that could provide more clues, I guess we've come down to "Your machine doesn't like the livecd". There will be a new version out shortly, so hang in there. Also cordel has put together an FC3 installer that may do the trick for you, so you could PM him about how to obtain that.

Best regards,

Ross
mpoertner

Post by mpoertner »

Yeah, it was the CD image. I downloaded it again and it worked, no problems!

Thanks for your help guys!
Matt