Installation Advice

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
kevin_robson

Installation Advice

Post by kevin_robson »

Hi All,
I urgently need to set up a security system at my house due to a few recent 'incidents'

I've tried installing it now on both Suse 9.1 and Fedora core 3.
Both failed with different errors - one during configure and one during running (PHP unable to find DB connection function)

From searching on the web both of these errors seem to be down to version mismatches/incompatibilities with Apache, PHP and MySQL.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone done an installation step-by-step guide for any particular distros - the ones I have available are any version of Redhat, Suse 9.1.
2. Should I use the PHP, MYSQL and Apache that is supplied with the distro or compile my own?
3. If I chose not to use the packages supplied with the distro and wanted to compile my own, what versions should I use and which particular MYSQL modules/packages would I need (I note there are about 7 - server, client etc)
4. Are there any distros where this works 'out of the box' without messing around installing different versions.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.
Nsaunders

Post by Nsaunders »

Hi Kevin,

Why not take a look at the Livecd Provided by Ross in the download section, This installs a working version of Zoneminder with everything needed.

Regards

Nick
:lol:
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

I did think of that if I cant get it working, but I wanted to use a full distro so I can continue to use a web server etc at the same time as the CCTV
thelight

Post by thelight »

I can 1.19.4 working out of the box with fedora core 2, 1.19.5 doesnt seem to want to work properly, some kind of database problems. If you can manage without a few of the 1.19.5 features then you could possibly try the previous version on fedora as it seems a little more compatible.
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

About to try fedora core 1 tonight. Will try with both the current and older version and let you know how I got on.

Thanks
Milfran

Post by Milfran »

Hi Kevin,

Don't know if you are aware of SME distro (based on RedHat 7.3), http://contribs.org
it's an easy gateway/server with a web admin interface.

Someone, Chaapai, has made a how-to and an install script for zoneminder on SME, unfortunately it is in French, but a babelfish translation should be good enough.
Edit: http://www.chaapai.homelinux.net/module ... page&pid=9

Just had to change "serveur_interne=0" to "serveur_interne=1" in the script.
kevin_robson

Thanks

Post by kevin_robson »

Thanks All,
I managed to find the following guide for installing on Suse 9.1. It all seems to work OK on this although I haven't had to much time to play about with it yet.

http://software.newsforge.com/article.p ... 126&tid=29

Now I just need to find a reasonably priced camera to give me decent pictures.