kernel-source

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
dave

kernel-source

Post by dave »

I am trying to install vmware and had installed via urpmi the kernel-source rpm (kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm) and dependencies so that the vmware installer could compile VMware Workstation modules for my current kernel. Does anyone know where I might find kernel-source-2.6.3-4mdk.i586.rpm?

Here is the VMware error:

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.3-7mdk) does not match your running
kernel (version 2.6.3-4mdk). Even if the module were to compile successfully,
it would not load into the running kernel.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi Dave,
You may find that package on CD 3 of Mandrake 10.0 community release. If you dont already have the CDs It would probably be best to install kernel 2.6.3-7mdk. This is the current default for the Mandrake 10.0 official release.
You can get kernel 2.6.3-7mdk here: ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributi ... rake/RPMS/
Or any "Mandrake Official mirror". If you use rpmdrake you will probably be able to select it from your already configured download source.
It should be well supported for some time.
I have used vmware in the past, but not with a 2.6 kernel. Please let me know how it works, which version of vmware, etc.

Best regards

Ross
dave

Post by dave »

Thanks for the help Ross
A "urpmi kernel" did the trick, and the VMware modules compiled successfully. I saw a few warnings along the way about the 2.6 kernel, but XP Pro seems to be doing fine so far. Some tweaking and tuning will probably help take some of the load off of my aging P3-500/ 320MB system. This is a temporary installation anyway to show my wife that Photoshop can run on linux :o
vmware ver=4.5.1(build-7568)