Cameras not on the same IP range than ZoneMinder server

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
PierreLyon

Cameras not on the same IP range than ZoneMinder server

Post by PierreLyon »

Hello,
For practical reasons I need to have my cameras and my ZoneMinder server not in the same IP range.
Cameras are in : 192.168.169.xxx
ZomeMinder is in : 10.0.10.xxx
Of course there is a bridge between those two network but when i try to use the ONVIF fonction to scan the network for cameras
it propose me only the 10.0.10.xx network and not the other one that is part of the game.
Is there a way to workaround that?
Some config file to edit ?
Thanks for your help
Pierre
Andyrh

Re: Cameras not on the same IP range than ZoneMinder server

Post by Andyrh »

You can manually create the cameras. I do not know of a way to make it broadcast across the networks.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
mikb

Post by mikb »

PierreLyon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 pm Hello,
For practical reasons I need to have my cameras and my ZoneMinder server not in the same IP range.
Cameras are in : 192.168.169.xxx
ZomeMinder is in : 10.0.10.xxx
Of course there is a bridge between those two network but when i try to use the ONVIF fonction to scan the network for cameras
it propose me only the 10.0.10.xx network and not the other one that is part of the game.
Is there a way to workaround that?
Some config file to edit ?
Thanks for your help
Pierre
I suspect that if you have your networking set up correctly so that routes are in place such that a machine in 10.0.10.X can talk to cameras in 192.168.169.X at all (ping, confirmed operation in VLC or other software) then you've done all *you* can to make things work.

The ONVIF scan may well be deliberately limited to scanning only the netmask/subnet of the current network.

Otherwise a) it would take a very long time, and b) scan everything visible on the internet if left unchecked.

I guess the assumption is that if you want a quick setup, the cameras are going to be pretty local. If you want to get fancy and have the cameras somewhere else (e.g. what looks like/could be a remote location, on the internet, etc.) then you can configure it yourself.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Maybe you put a zm on the 169 net and scan from there? Then save the monitor config and restore it to the .10 "real" zm?
PierreLyon

Post by PierreLyon »

Thanks for your advise.
That was what i am going to do
It will be even more easy because the cameras have a fixed reserved IP.
Thanks
Pierre