Combining two camera groups

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
VARN

Combining two camera groups

Post by VARN »

I have two buildings that need cameras, I'll be using these https://amcrest.com/4k-poe-camera-dome- ... ew-v2.html as needed. One building has eight existing cameras connected to a pvr; probably Hikvision, I haven't worked out if I can get them working with zm yet.

What is the best way to setup zm? All the data eventually needs to end up at one location. Should one have all cameras go to a switch to send wirelessly to the other building? Should I have a server setup at each location with separate zm running (I'm assuming I can get them to talk to each other)?

Let me know your thoughts.
dougmccrary

Re: Combining two camera groups

Post by dougmccrary »

If the wireless is/will be reliable, that's probably simplest.
VARN

Post by VARN »

Does this mean you are suggesting all cameras to the switch then wifi over to the other building with one server?
These cameras will have different uses over time from checking snow height, pooling water to full security, counting people licence plates and motion detection. Current 8 cameras 1080 or better and three 4k, eventually adding more 4ks.
It looks like the number of cores in a standard cpu is currently about 8 with the rest being virtual. Are 4k cameras one per core? Should I get a server motherboard with two cpus or is that overkill?
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Does this mean you are suggesting all cameras to the switch then wifi over to the other building with one server?
I think I'd start with that, yes. You're gonna need the wifi to interconnect the buildings in any case, correct?
I think Isaac said a said 4K would need a core, so it could be you'd need more cores, maybe via upgrade or a second server in the outbuilding.
Isaac runs systems like that, so best to take his advice as I only run local cameras at low speed and no plate detection, etc.