Upgrade from ZM 1.36 to 1.37

Current Development version likely to have breaking changes
jensg

Upgrade from ZM 1.36 to 1.37

Post by jensg »

Hello, I‘m wondering what’s the best way and procedure in upgrading my existent ZM 1.36 installation to 1.37 ? Thanks a lot for your support.
dougmccrary

Re: Upgrade from ZM 1.36 to 1.37

Post by dougmccrary »

On Ubuntu:

sudo apt remove zoneminder
(change or add the 1.37 repo)
sudo apt install zoneminder
jensg

Post by jensg »

Can you guide me to the 1.37 repo? Cannot find it. Thanks.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master

No need to remove it first. Make sure you take a db backup first.
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

I have tried it also and got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 95, in <module>
sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
self.reload_sourceslist()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 91, in get_sources
raise NoDistroTemplateException(
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for Raspbian/bullseye

any ideas? Thanks in advance
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

You are not on ubuntu, so don't use our ubuntu instructions.

Go to https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com and read the instructions there.
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

of course, I didn't look hard enough. Sorry

Thank you very much

Best regards Heimo
jensg

Post by jensg »

iconnor wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:45 pm sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master

No need to remove it first. Make sure you take a db backup first.
Thanks a lot, upgrade done. As camera setting is different compared to 1.36, is there a detailed description on the new function concept? In 1.36 I had my camera setup with modect and nodect and linked monitors respectively. In 1.37 I‘m not completely sure about the correct setup based on the new function concept. So some help would be very much appreciated.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

It's worth exploring.
There are explanations of most of the new stuff, and if you upgraded (from 1.36) I think the majority of the settings get translated to the new.
jensg

Post by jensg »

dougmccrary wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:47 am It's worth exploring.
There are explanations of most of the new stuff, and if you upgraded (from 1.36) I think the majority of the settings get translated to the new.
Happy to explore it :-) But I‘m wondering what‘s the correct setup in 1.37 for the following:
Monitor 1: Motion detection (sub-stream) in a defined zone only, nothing else (i.e. no recording, etc.)
Monitor 2: linked to Monitor 1, will start recording (main stream) if triggered by motion detection on Monitor 1

I‘m quite a newbie and I’m puzzled a bit in finding the correct settings for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2, with regard to Capturing and Decoding in 1.37?
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

There's likely something in the wiki. I don't use triggering, so I trust someone else will point you in the right direction. Have fun...
Ramblin

Post by Ramblin »

jensg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:49 am Happy to explore it :-) But I‘m wondering what‘s the correct setup in 1.37 for the following:
Monitor 1: Motion detection (sub-stream) in a defined zone only, nothing else (i.e. no recording, etc.)
Monitor 2: linked to Monitor 1, will start recording (main stream) if triggered by motion detection on Monitor 1
@jseng

Did you ever resolve how to use the MoDect/NoDect setup with 1.37?

I am looking to upgrade to 1.37 from 1.36 and have all my cameras setup the way you described. Each camera has two feeds:
  • Low-Res stream with MoDect set
  • HiRes stream with NoDect set, triggered from Events on the LoRes stream
Based on the responses above, it does not sound like this is the normal (or event supported?) setup in 1.37 but I cannot find the documentation for what to do differently in 1.37.

Did you figure it out or find docmentation to help?

Richard
Ramblin

1.37 on Debian 12 (bookworm)?

Post by Ramblin »

I expect the answer to be "No" but in case there is a way, I thought I'd at least ask.

Is there a way to install/upgrade to Zoneminder 1.37 if I am on Debian 12 (NOT Ubuntu)?

The PPA for 1.37 lists kinetic (Ubuntu 22.10) as one of the install options for 1.37 and kinetic is based on bookworm (Debian 12) so I thought I would try it but, after installing the kinetic PPA and update/upgrade, it ended up giving me about 10 "Cannot install" errors for libraries that are required for installation of Zoneminder 1.37 but appear incompatible with Debian 12

So, is there a way to install/upgrade to 1.37 if the server is Debian 12 (bookworm) based?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Ramblin

Post by Ramblin »

jensg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:49 am
dougmccrary wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:47 am It's worth exploring.
Happy to explore it :-) But I‘m wondering what‘s the correct setup in 1.37 for the following:

I‘m quite a newbie and I’m puzzled a bit in finding the correct settings for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2, with regard to Capturing and Decoding in 1.37?

(previouslyy posted this Q but used the wrong tag for @jensg, sorry; guess that explains why no reply ... :-) )

Did you ever resolve how to use the MoDect/NoDect setup with 1.37?

I have now installed 1.37 on a test server but with 1.36 have all my cameras setup the way you described. Each camera has two feeds:

Low-Res stream with MoDect set

HiRes stream with NoDect set, triggered from Events on the LoRes stream

Based on the responses above, it does not sound like this is the normal (or event supported?) setup in 1.37 but I cannot find the documentation for what to do differently in 1.37.

Did you figure it out or find documentation to help?