POE+ 8port switch recommendations with RPi

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
gVv5V

POE+ 8port switch recommendations with RPi

Post by gVv5V »

i want to try ZM on the rpi first, since i have one laying about, and see how i and cams do before getting/building a more suitable server.

from the hwcl it looks like a "raspberry pi 4 B *GB" running ubuntu or raspbian will run ZM + 4 IP cams. two outside cams and two inside home. all on cat6 which is already pulled and in place. i read the resolution and FPS of whatever cams i choose more likely than not will need to be tweaked and adjusting GPU memory. the Rpi will not have monitor connected. i typically http or ssh to them.

i'll try either "2020-02-13-raspbian-buster-zoneminder-1.34-0.1.img.bz2" from "zmrepo.zoneminder.com" or "Ubuntu Desktop 22.04.2 LTS" or server ver.

for a HD, planning of getting either WD purple or Seagate Ironwolf and plug it in to the RPi via docking station. not sure if i need two external hhd, one for db and one for videos? the WD or Seagate would be videos. i could get an inexpensive large ssd for the db... for this particular setup (i think)

question for now: an 8 port managed POE(+) switch to get. the hwcl list recommends at least 48v. any medium priced recommendations for that?
dougmccrary

Re: POE+ 8port switch recommendations with RPi

Post by dougmccrary »

I have run ubuntu and pihole on a 120GB ssd with 18 cameras and a month of 24/7 video on HDDs. Storage was tight so went to 240GB ssd.
So you can use a cheap small ssd and whatever for the hdd.

Don't use poe so no help there.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

My POE switches are all UniFi.

ZM version is currently 1.36. Try to use that rather than a deprecated version.
-
gVv5V

Post by gVv5V »

dougmccrary wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:43 pm I have run ubuntu and pihole on a 120GB ssd with 18 cameras and a month of 24/7 video on HDDs. Storage was tight so went to 240GB ssd.
So you can use a cheap small ssd and whatever for the hdd.

Don't use poe so no help there.
thanks for reply. good to know re 240gb ssd. are you running on a raspberry pi ?
gVv5V

Post by gVv5V »

Magic919 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:01 am My POE switches are all UniFi.

ZM version is currently 1.36. Try to use that rather than a deprecated version.
i did notice that the zmrepo img file was v1.34 vs current v1.36. appreciate the heads up to go with v1.36. i'll look into the UniFi models.
thanks
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

thanks for reply. good to know re 240gb ssd. are you running on a raspberry pi ?
No, I have zm and pi-hole on a z400.