Generate Video from Event

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
MKEbrew

Generate Video from Event

Post by MKEbrew »

How do we generate video from an event in 1.36? I had to go to the command line and use zmvideo.pl because I was in a hurry and couldn't find it. The export option only exports videos if they are present.. how do we generate them on demand if they are not present? This was available in previous versions, but I can't seem to find it in 1.36.
bbunge

Re: Generate Video from Event

Post by bbunge »

First off you can't get a video if it was not recorded.
Export or Download Video both work and can be found in the event list. Multiple events can be gotten in one file.
You can also Export/Download a viewed event. Download just gets the video file without doing tar or zip.
MKEbrew

Post by MKEbrew »

Right, I am familiar with all that - those functions work. However, in previous versions one could generate a video from an event if a video did not yet exist. That's what I am looking for. It seems it was either removed from the ui or I'm just not finding it.

This is pretty old, but step 4 says choose file type and click generate: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/How_to_expo ... t_as_video

I wasn't that far behind, but I don't recall off hand what version I was on before upgrading to 1.36. I want to say it was 1.34.

It seems you are confirming to me that zm no longer has this.
vrm42z

Post by vrm42z »

I asked the same and got the same. I use this feature daily so I just restored my 1.34.26 vm.
Much nicer GUI too.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Yup, I was able to get it to work on my Pi 4 but got busy with life for a couple of days. Will try tomorrow to set it up again. However, the easiest is to record videos in the first place
MKEbrew

Post by MKEbrew »

Got it. Thanks for confirming for me. Thought I was losing my mind for a moment. For now, doing this from the CLI isn't too big of a deal. Too early to make any decisions this morning.

Thanks again.