Shared data not initialised by capture daemon......

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
Zoltan

Shared data not initialised by capture daemon......

Post by Zoltan »

Hi,
Using Ubuntu 20.04 with zoneminder 1.34.22 both fully updated with apt.

Please can someone help me to understand and fix this error:
2021-01-18 09:46:22 zma_m5 27920 ERR Shared data not initialised by capture daemon for monitor Driveway zm_monitor.cpp 501
2021-01-18 09:46:22 zmdc 27878 ERR 'zma -m 5' exited abnormally, exit status 255 zmdc.pl

I first CLEARed the error log and then logged out from my web connection to zoneminder.
Then I did a systemctl restart zoneminder
Then I logged in again and saw the above errors in the logs.

I then walked into the driveway camera view and checked the event-ID and my intrusion was correctly recorded.
I did a REFRESH on the Logs - and no extra error was logged.

So, although "Shared data" was "not initialised..." the camera is working and recording events.

Please can someone help me to understand and fix this error

Thanks and regards,
Zoltan
Paranoid

Re: Shared data not initialised by capture daemon......

Post by Paranoid »

It's possible that your capture daemon is slow to start and as a result it hasn't initialised the shared memory when the analysis daemon starts up. The analysis daemon spots this and exits producing the first error message. The second message is produced by zmdc which is monitoring all the daemons.
After a short period of time the analysis daemon is run again. By this time the capture daemon is fully up and running so no errors are produced.

If your camera is an IP camera and if the capture daemon connects to the camera before initialising shared memory then the error might be a result of delays in establishing a connection.
Zoltan

Re: Shared data not initialised by capture daemon......

Post by Zoltan »

Ah, nice explanation and likely 'very' correct.

When the PC boots it also invariably messes up Dovecot, which I then have to manually restart.

I think I need to work out how to re-order startup tasks......

Thanks and regards,
Zoltan