Problems installing mysql

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
nerbonne

Problems installing mysql

Post by nerbonne »

I decided to install ZM on my backup linux server that runs SUSE 10.2 Server. Having only ever used this server to perform rsync/rsnapshot backups of remote hosts, apache/php/mysql were not installed. I installed apache/php5 using Yast. No problems there. I then went to the mysql site, and got the rpm for SUSE 10.2 which was: MySQL-server-community-5.1.42-0.sles10.i586.rpm. It installed fine. The mysql server is running.

But when I go to the terminal and type "mysql", I get:

kbackup3:/ # mysql
-bash: mysql: command not found

I did a find: find / -name mysql

There is no executable name mysql. What is the deal? Even the mysql 5.1 documentation on mysql.com refers to using the mysql command. Does anyone have any tips?
curtishall

Re: Problems installing mysql

Post by curtishall »

I don't know anything about SuSE, but most distributions (Ubuntu / Debian / Redhat) split the mysql server and mysql client into different packages.

Search for mysql-client and see if it pulls up.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
nerbonne

Post by nerbonne »

I think what happened is that the installed got goofed. I downloaded the rpm package with Firefox, and then let it install automatically. I think the best thing to do is to remove it and install it from source. To uninstall it, I can just stop the service, remove the service, and delete the files?
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

nerbonne wrote:I think what happened is that the installed got goofed. I downloaded the rpm package with Firefox, and then let it install automatically. I think the best thing to do is to remove it and install it from source. To uninstall it, I can just stop the service, remove the service, and delete the files?
Removing the package and reinstalling it should do the right thing. You shouldn't have to compile anything by source
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net